Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Distracting Turkeys

Jorgy

The last few years I have been working on becoming a turkey hunter. Trying to find them, trying to figure out how to get close, all those fun things that are turkey hunting in Colorado. Finally this last fall I shot my first turkey, a hen, while not turkey hunting, but deer hunting. You have to start somewhere I guess.

So I have spent alot of time the last few months gearing up for spring turkey. Bought a few decoys, a few more calls, some lightweight camo. Then a few weeks back I am laying on the couch, watching the Packers playoff game against Washington and I see out the window a turkey walk down into my backyard. I told my doggies to stay, closed the dog door and was torn between watching the turkeys, and watching my Packers. So a few weeks have gone by and there has been a flock of turkeys in my yard most days, I hope they stick around after winter. Not to hunt, but they are just fun to watch. They sure do drive my dogs nuts, and they fly so much better than you would expect when 200 pounds of mutts are running at them. The worse part about it is they are very distracting for me. This is my little flock, 15 hens, about 15 yards out my office window.

Attachments

• zz.jpg
    zz.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 269
Throw some corn out there on the snow if they visit you yard on a regular basis. They will stick around then. I would guess they have a hard time finding food in Colorado when the snow is deep. We have a lot of them in our backyard they love to visit our bird feeders.

Hmm I have always found that before season they are anywhere I want to watch them lol

Not trying to lecture, but give an fyi. I'd verify what the regs have to say, but I don't think the corn idea is legal in CO hunting or not.

Around my neck of the woods they get into big flocks and feed in different areas in the winter than during the summer. One spot I hunt they don't show up until about two weeks before season opens and they will hang around until fall then they disappear. So they might not be distracting you once it warms up.

Back