PEAX Equipment

I'm going to lose my rifle...

Sabot

Men, it's just over 2 months till I pull out for Colorado 3rd rifle season, and I'm finally serious about dropping a few pounds. In keeping with the idea that goals should be realistic and held accountable to be reached, I am publicly asking for support in my quest to lose 9.5 lbs (the weight of my rifle) in the next 60 days.

I've already been hitting the treadmill for a half hour on max incline 3 times a week (this is not easy because I'm in mediocre condition battling janky knees), but I know it is ultimately going to come down to diet. I'm not big on a bunch of rules, but I figure for 60 days I can do without the following:

Sodas, Fries, Desserts, Chips, and ....beer. Ok, I think i will allow one beer for every pound I lose.

Feel free to join me...or not... in losing your rifle. I will post weekly updates. Starting point is today: I'm 6'0" and 207 lbs. Will turn 41 in a couple of weeks.

FWIW, I am also pressing into this effort with a bit of spiritual emphasis. I'm asking God for help and for this to be a time of renewal of mind and body culminating in a mountain top celebration with a good mulie or elk.

I changed my diet a month ago and started running in the AM and walking the dog in the evening for longer distances and dropped 13 lbs. Sometimes just small changes can make a huge difference and reduce that weight you are carrying up the mountain to allow for more weight on your back after you slam a nice buck/bull.

Good luck on your CO hunt!

SpikeCamp

Sodas, Fries, Desserts, Chips, and ....beer. Ok, I think i will allow one beer for every pound I lose.

That seems like a tall order. I've never had to try to cut out food (gotta love a fast metabolism) but i've helped others cut things they don't want anymore out of their lives as part of my profession and my recommendation would be to start by only cutting out 1 or 2 things. Maybe the sodas or desserts. It sounds counter intuitive but I wouldn't cut out the thing that you love or eat the most of first. But I digress...

Good luck on losing the rifle! We'll all be pulling for you!!!!! :hump:

I am in a job where weigh ins are a requirement and my go to "diet" for getting lean is definitely the high protein/low(almost none to start) carb diet. You can shed the amount of weight you are looking for quickly and then reintroduce a reasonable amount of good quality carbs. We have a nutritionist on staff and this is advice from her as well. Also, make sure to drink a lot of water and get rid of pop (even diet). You will do great!!

Your still a youngster, 9.5 pounds should come off pretty easy.
I am 62, and workout every other day year around, and everyday starting 2 months before my Elk hunt.
2 years ago, I got rear-end, and ended up with whiplash, had some Steroid shots to help with the pain, that sure put the pounds on about 30. I have been really watching what I eat for the last 4 months, and have dropped 20 of it, but it sure doesn't come off as easy as it use too.

You can do it for sure, and Good luck on your Hunt.

Kevin

I have lost over 30 pounds jn 2 months. Research Paleo diet…and follow it as if it were gospel. Lean meat, eggs, veggies, fruits, seeds, etc. You will also find that when you eat good food (not crap) it takes far less calories to fuel your body. I eat around 1500 per day now. I probably was eating 3 thousand ++ before. Ditch the treadmill for awhile, its hard on your knees. Run on the elliptical because its far less impact until you get in decent shape. Not saying this is the way you need to do it….but it sure has worked for me. No soda either. Stuff is loaded with crap calories that do nothing but bloat you and pack weight on your a$$. here is an example of my day meals:

Breakfast: 1-2 egg omelet with diced spinach, red, yellow and green peppers, onion and asparagus. Add in some chipotle sauce for flavor. NO SALT, No CHEESE. ok to use black pepper. Tastes delicious and is all good stuff.

Lunch: Spinach salad with strawberries, blueberries, pineapple, whatever else you like. Go really light on the dressing and pick something low in calories. Chicken breasts are also good to eat alone or strip and add to salads. Avoid breads and other sources of carb-loads.

Dinner. Lean steak, grilled veggies. chicken and fish are also staples of this diet. Basically think of it as the "outdoorsman Diet"

Jerkey and trail mixes (the right varieties) are great snacks between meals. Who the heck doesn't like jerky? haha

You will be surprised how fast the weight comes off and how eating makes such a huge difference and how less you eat when you eat high quality foods. Is it easier to eat 500 calories less….or burn 500 calories in the gym? this should be your mindset. It takes roughly 3500 calories +/- to gain or lose a pound. Best way is to eat 500-1000 less calories per day and do a 500 calorie workout. Then you will lose a pound every 2 days or so. Good luck both on this venture and on your hunt!

Last edited:
Breakfast: 1-2 egg omelet with diced spinach, red, yellow and green peppers, onion and asparagus. Add in some chipotle sauce for flavor. NO SALT, No CHEESE. ok to use black pepper. Tastes delicious and is all good stuff.

Lunch: Spinach salad with strawberries, blueberries, pineapple, whatever else you like. Go really light on the dressing and pick something low in calories. Chicken breasts are also good to eat alone or strip and add to salads. Avoid breads and other sources of carb-loads.

Dinner. Lean steak, grilled veggies. chicken and fish are also staples of this diet. Basically think of it as the "outdoorsman Diet"

Not seeing pizza or twinkies on your list. Please revise so I can follow this diet. :eek:

All great advice above! I'd also add that if you have a smartphone, download the Myfitnesspal app. Decide what your goals are for weight loss and diet (like how many carbs/day you will allow yourself) and enter it into the program. It will help guide you to your goal. It makes it super easy. It's free, too.

I started out the summer at 166 pounds and easily hit my goal weight of 154 pounds last week. I no longer need the app because I am familiar with what I need to eat each day. The first few days of cutting my carbs (mostly junk food) back I felt very hungry. After my body adjusted it was a breeze. Good luck!!

Now that I am *retared* core work outs 3X week for an hour each with cardio blasts mixed in. Getting easier, but still not fun although I feel a ton better. Wife has us on protein low carb meals. Still treat myself to a couple of bourbons a week, but lay off the beer. Down to my goal weight so hover between 140-143. Just wish I could have started this about five years ago. Upcoming two week road trip with the trailer should be a test. Then home a week and off hunting.

When it gets down to the last month or so, I go to 5 small meals a day instead of 3. You can eat less but since you're eating every 2 to 3 hours you never get hungry. After a week or so of this, I sometimes forget 'meals' because I'm not even hungry yet.
After all, that's how I eat when hunting - small meals/snacks several times a day: Coffee and breakfast bar in tent, oatmeal from glassing spot, trail mix while hiking, jerky and PB bagel for lunch....
And all the water you can stand.

I get one can of pop a week (usually Saturday dinner with family) and no fries. That alone will get me a pound a week (at least at first). And I don't drink beer anyways, so...

You got this Sabot...Best of luck with that rifle and your hunt.

Last edited:
If you set your mind to it, you'll do it. I've never been big or overweight, but when the doc mentioned Diabetes, I lost from 189 down to 147! Which was too much. The main thing that helped me was cutting out sodas and the treadmill.

But most of all, the beginning of your last sentence on the OP is the key!

Jeepers! I am literally twice the human of some of you guys. Well done!

In regards to the OP, based upon your timeline, I'd focus my effort on workouts than just losing weight. I'm proof positive most can't workout enough to make up for a chitty diet, but IMO the workout will pay better dividends within 2 mos.

PS- My workout has been different for this year than most years. I'm interested to see the results or lack there of this fall in the hills.

Thanks All. I promise to update the thread weekly with what I'm doing and results. I'm hoping to lose enough to eventually justify all new hunting attire!

I have about the same amount left to go. 12 more pounds. I'm down 27 so far since February. I've focused more on working out than losing weight but now will do more cardio tlil October. Good luck!

There's a good article written by Ryan Hatfield of The Western Hunter. He breaks down how to become in shape for the mountain. One example he gave was being able to run 3 straight miles at no less than a 10 minute per mile pace, in other words a nice slow jog. I understand you may have some knee problems but I found that to be a good bench mark to work from in addition to your diet.

Alright... Guess it's time to throw my hat in this ring. I'm going to attempt to loose my rifle by the MT Rifle opener. Might not be as easy... my "light weight" hunting rifle is 10.5lbs with bipod, sling and 4 rounds. That would put me at 210 for hunting season. Should be attainable.

I find it amazing that all will power for junk food aversion wilts in the first fifty miles of a 13 hour drive to Colorado.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back