Solo hunt in the Ruby Mountains

• Thread starter Deleted member 20812
  • Start date
congrats on a great hunt ! The events described in the story made me feel like I was right there. Thanks for sharing!

Great write up, looks like a heck of an adventure.

I run in to that same Mica in the breaks. It's an interesting rock for sure.

Last edited:
Thanks guys. The concurring opinion is that the rock was Mica.

Duck-Slayer, I may have to do this trip again in the future. I'll certainly keep you in mind.

It certainly was an incredible trip to kick off the season. Henry is thinking I should hang up the bow and dust off the shotgun already.

Very good read, congrats on an amazing hunt! Did the velvet hold up for the long pack out and ride home?

The velvet got really dinged up on one side when the buck finally fell and rolled down the hill. I treated it the first night with 4 in 1 Liqua-Mount preservative, and then treated it again the next day at the trailhead. It held up pretty well, there was a little rubbing from the daypack lid but I think it's going to make a pretty nice European mount.

What a great hunting adventure story, especially as it's set in such dramatic country. Congrats on the fine buck and successful hunt.

Great read JLS. Read it over on Bowsite last night and fantastic story telling and photography. Great archery buck as well!

Awesome write up!
Great story and pics. Super buck.
Thanks for taking us along...

Back