Trying something new

Smokepoler63

I'm trying something new this year. Actually I'm trying two new things this year. I have never used trail cameras or used tree stands for any kind of hunting, let alone archery elk hunting. I put my first cameras out in mid June. I had mixed results the first two weeks, getting mostly deer and moose. I relocated a few cameras, and have been getting many more elk photos since. Archery season opens in 4 days and I'm like a kid on Christmas Eve. I can't wait for the season to open. Like I mentioned before, the other new thing I'm trying this year is tree stands. I’ve spent many years on the ground, calling, running and gunning so to speak, spot and stalk hunting. This tree stand hunting is going to be a whole new experience for me. The photos I'm getting of elk will make the long hours of sitting a little more bearable. Wish me luck, nothing ventured, nothing gained. Here are a few photos from my trail cameras.
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Patience is your Friend ! And just because your up in a tree does not negate the need for minimum movement, scent control, and noise discipline. Good Luck.

Awesome pictures, and I wish you the best of luck. However, if your experience is anything like mine, elk tend move away from the areas they inhabit during "trail camera season" and to new places for archery season.

Good luck on the season. I've never even tried to sit in a stand and almost no time in a blind - too antsy - but my (terrible) results should speak for themselves.

It looks like you have a remarkable spot. With those wallows they will be there some time! Post up some pics of your successful hunt.

The spike in the eighth photo is the only spike I have photos of. Four weeks ago he looked like a regular spike, although his tops were a little bulbous. The next two weeks showed him changing into a 2 X 3 with something funny growth down in the brow tine area. It seems strange to me that I'm not seeing more spikes. I'm not complaining mind you, I'm very happy with all of the branch antlered bulls. This area is down in a hole that most hunters won't venture in to. The elk tend to stay in this area through archery season due to the lack of pressure, so I think I'm in for a good season.

Those trail cameras sure become addicting quick. Make sure to post pics of your successful hunt :)

Opening weekend success

Opening weekend success! My nephew arrowed this bull at 9 yards from one of my wallow tree stands. This bull came in to wallow at 11:30 opening morning. After sitting all morning, he got out of the stand around 10:30 to swap out the trail camera memory card. About a hour later, as he was reviewing the trail camera photos, he heard a twig snap. He looked up to see this bull working his way to the wallows, rocking his rack from side to side as he worked through the trees. The bull splashed and wallowed in the furthest wallow at 26 yards, but facing frontward, offering no shot. Then the bull stood and walked in front of my nephew at 15 yards. He drew his bow, but the arrow fell off the string. The nock was full of dirt and debris from a fall taken during the early morning hike in the dark. Luckily, his rest caught the arrow. He quickly cleaned the nock, re-nocked the arrow, and came to full draw. By this time the bull was drinking at the nearest wallow at 9 yards. Most of this wallow is obscured by foliage, but there was a nice opening over the vitals. The shot was a complete pass through, leaving the arrow stuck in the wallow mud. The bull ran about 70 yards before piling up. Great way to start a season!

Very nice bull! How do you like your tent? Just bought one which I will use next week during my hunt in Nevada.

Amazing to be able to renock with a bull at 10ish yards and hold your composure long enough for a great shot. Well done to you both.

MT_elk, I love the tent. It is the 10' X 14' model and it makes for a great hunting camp. I love the marine grade silicone treated canvas that breaths rather than building up condensate. They're fairly cool in the summer and warm in the colder weather with a propane Mr. Heater. Word of advice, don't ever store it wet or damp. Make sure it is good and dry before storing to prevent mold and mildew.

Back