Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Help please on understanding WY draw?

ksbow

Am I reading correctly I get confused with drawing info if you draw as NR for General Tag you can hunt all General tag areas or is there specific area you have to focus on? Sorry probably a dumb question, but new to trying to figure this all out?

You are correct. With the General elk tag you can hunt any of the units that are considered "General Unit" areas, but you cannot hunt any of the units that are limited entry units.

So the limit would be that I could not hunt the Wilderness area's without a guide as a NR correct? Based on the map that leaves pretty limited area for NR to go without a guide correct? Wanting to do archery hunt only?

Okay so again probably dumb question but when listed as general season it shows dates some units I would want to hunt don't show archery season, is there a set date when archery starts, rifle etc.."

Most all units will have specific dates for archery and rifle, but that's not saying you can't use archery during rifle. Some states you can draw archery/rifle/black powder only tags. And some units will have specific dates that you can hunt any elk or only cows

Last edited:
What I found was that when you apply for a general tag, that is for rifle season. If you want to hunt archery on a general tag, you have to get an archery stamp (I think it's like 30 bucks). Then you can hunt archery as well, which is usually one month prior to rifle. (Sept. 1) Make sure to read the fine print. That's where I remember finding it.

Guys, I may be mistaken here, but to my knowledge there is no such thing as a "general" tag for a non-resident of Wyoming. As a non res you are required to apply for a certain area, no matter which area it is. As a resident, I can buy an over the counter general elk tag that allows me to hunt all general areas, but I'm pretty sure that's not an option for a non res unless they changed it for 2015....
And as far as archery goes, once you draw the tag, you then purchase an archery license IF the area has an early archery season. Some do not.

OK, digging into this a bit more, now I believe I am wrong. I guess I didn't realize that a non res could just apply for "gen" when applying for a license. If that's the case you would have lots of country to beat around. Lots of private though, and often tough access. But hey, you'd still be huntin elk here in the great state of WY, and as bad as your hunt may be....you're still hunting elk in Wyoming!!

Alright, my head is between my knees, I was wrong. Disregard my first post to this thread.

The General tag is a great way for a NR to hunt elk in Wyoming regularly while buying PPs if they apply in the Special for it as a second choice. Hey, we all make mistakes. I made my first one on here yesterday myself, LOL!

TopGun, as long as I spread my mistakes around, most people don't catch up to the fact that I've made more than one. Is it a mistake sharing that?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back