tough ole yotie

phutch30

I set up at first light and started calling saw a coyote within about 5 min but didnt give me a shot. It ran out to about 500 yards and sat down and kept looking back so I hit a challenge call. 3 more popped up over the hill and started pacing. So hit them with another challenge bark and went right to pup distress. All 4 came at a run. This one leading the pack.

Never noticed till I went to pick her up. Tough critters!

Nice. Of all the coyotes I have killed only 2 were three legged.

They are tough critters

alas only the one... I thought I was gunna get several as hard as they were coming, so I put down the rifle and picked up the shotgun. This one came across the dry canal and the others held up outa shotgun range. Picked up 3 more over the course of the day. We had a thick freezing fog all day where I was that really made calling or at least seeing any coyotes that came in tough unless they came in really close.

I shot one a couple yrs ago that was missing its lower front leg and a couple that were had busted up but healed leg bones, but this ones bad. When I skinned her she was missing the bottom of her shoulder blade. Old wound no scar tissue even not even a pucker in the skin. She'd had pups this yr too.

I was out coyote hunting with a good friend of mine one day who made his living shooting coyotes through the late 70's and mid-80's. He told me a few stories about some of the coyotes he had killed, one with a trap on its leg, one with a snare around its neck across it shoulder, etc.

I screwed up and shot one of the 23 coyotes we called in that day, too low and broke its leg. I told my buddy I'd chase it down...

I'll never forget what he said, "A coyote on 3 legs is 1/2 mile an hour slower than one on 4 legs...good luck".

Damn if he wasn't right.

I've shot a few like that I always guess it was from a trap that they got out of. All of them you should have never guessed that they were missing a leg.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back