Montana unit 652 buck tag

Howdy fellas, Im new here but just thought Ide offer a little insight. I live and work in 652. Though i moved here just this past spring i have had the opportunity to scout this area intensively while tending to the ranch and our cattle.

My first obvious observation is that deer numbers are drastically lower than what a fella would expect and the neighbors confirm this observation. Deer numbers in 652 are down significantly in this district.

My second observation was far more encouraging. Though numbers are down the numbers of bucks over 200 was incredible. There are true giants here. In fact i saw the two biggest bucks ive ever seen in my 44 years this past fall.

Another observation that i made is that All of these bucks disappeared from Nov.20 th until the end of the season. When I say disappeared, i mean they disappeared from within sight of any of the roadways or two tracks. Fortunately, they didnt truly disappear they simply moved and i was lucky enough to find where many of them moved to.

Starting about a week before Thanksgiving the amount of traffic (hunting traffic) increased substantially and consequently the bucks i had been observing moved to less noisy environments. Of the 50 permits issued I witnessed at very least half of those hunters drive by the ranch within a week of Thanksgiving. Most of the hunters i spoke to complained of not seeing big bucks but alot of little ones and i agree with their findings entirely. Of the bucks i saw that other hunters had taken one broke the 150 mark and all were taken within 7 days of Thanksgiving.

The big bucks simply moved away from the roadways and retreated to areas only accessible by foot. I know this because i found the big bucks while i was tending to the cattle.

From what i witnessed I would say if a guy is a real hunter willing to do a little walking, not just drive around the county roads all day, the best time to have a chance at one of the real trophy bucks would be to avoid Thanksgiving all together. If a guy hunts from say November 10 th to the 17th the big bucks are cruising then and havent been disturbed near as much as they are from the 20th on.

If you are hunting around Thanksgiving sure you will see alot of bucks from the road, but i promise you the vast majority of them will be younger bucks in which case if you see a 150 or better you should take him.

If you want to maximize your chances of taking a true giant, and believe me they are here, I would try to hunt this district well before Thanksgiving. Hope this helped.

Truer words couldn't have been said cowman. Say, how's the ice on the dry arm? I've been meaning to take a drive down to Rock Creek and McGuire for a peek but just hasn't worked out yet.

Not enough ice on the dry arm yet. The little ice thats around isnt safe just yet. If youre in the rock creek area feel free to stop in at the ranch anytime. We are the only place on North Rock Creek Rd between the highway and reservoir.

Not enough ice on the dry arm yet. The little ice thats around isnt safe just yet. If youre in the rock creek area feel free to stop in at the ranch anytime. We are the only place on North Rock Creek Rd between the highway and reservoir.

The old Nelson ranch? Will have to swing by some time. My family's got a cabin on the north fork. I've probably driven by 500+ times.

+1 critter.

Cowman, I'll double what critter offers. : )

You seem like a real nice guy. I expect your in box to have 50 new pms when the draw results come out next yr.

Beer is always welcome. Preferably Henry Weinhards Private Reserve. My rates are as follows:
one six pack will get you a finger point in the general direction of where the big bucks are hiding.

2 6 packs = a more accurate finger point and a cup of coffee
3 6 packs = ill drive you to the area the big boys are living in + or - 3 miles.
4 6 packs= guide you within + or - 1 mile
5 6 packs= ill guide you to his living room
6 6 packs= ill guide you to his living room with the assistance of a bikini model
7 6 packs or more= ill guide you directly to said buck, locate him for you, point him out to you, and providing you down the big buck, have the bikini model field dress him for you, while in her bikini ofcourse ( regardless of temperature)

Incidentally, if anyone opts for my premier package, would you be so kind as to inform me if you happen to have a daughter, granddaughter, sister, niece or any other relative that is a bikini model? This is only in an effort to avoid any potential awkward circumstances and every effort will be exhausted to ensure that your relative is Not the model in attendance. We in 652 want your hunting experience to be as enjoyable as possible.

Beer is always welcome. Preferably Henry Weinhards Private Reserve. My rates are as follows:
one six pack will get you a finger point in the general direction of where the big bucks are hiding.

2 6 packs = a more accurate finger point and a cup of coffee
3 6 packs = ill drive you to the area the big boys are living in + or - 3 miles.
4 6 packs= guide you within + or - 1 mile
5 6 packs= ill guide you to his living room
6 6 packs= ill guide you to his living room with the assistance of a bikini model
7 6 packs or more= ill guide you directly to said buck, locate him for you, point him out to you, and providing you down the big buck, have the bikini model field dress him for you, while in her bikini ofcourse ( regardless of temperature)

Well, heck, I'll be by with a hijacked beer truck then!;) Stubaby is going to have a hard time driving two beer trucks at the same time:)

Yes I had a blast hunting with schaff! I know there are big bucks out there but I found getting to them a problem, snowdrifts. I did get out and walk a bit and saw some nice bucks. The first night I spotted a pretty nice big with a herd of does. I got to within 300 yards and could have easily taken him but I just wasnt sure and it was my first night. So the next day schaff met up with me and my father in law early for a hearty breakfast and some coffee. We thought about knocking on the door of the Nelson ranch but decided not too because I didn't want to disturb anyone. We drove around looking for a spot to hunt but kept getting blocked by snowdrifts. We decided to go to the spot I had seen the buck before. The three of us hiked in together about 1mile and schaff and I decided to go up a coulee. My father in law didnt get the memo and he is a bit grumpy at times, he decided to skyline himself after we spotted a herd of deer. Schaff actually spotted them and I was trying get into position and find the buck while telling my father to get down. Well of course the deer spooked and I saw the buck running and it looked big, schaff said that's a shooter and I threw the rifle up and put the crosshairs on him and prepared to take a 360 yard running shot! Schaff said WAIT! So I lowered the rifle and watched him disappear. I was upset that my father in law wasnt staying with us and upset that I had blown the opportunity, but glad I didn't take the shot. Schaff looked where the deer went, and they only went about 1000 yards away and bedded down!

Cowman- I have never really considered putting in for 652...... but after some careful consideration on the new light you've brought to the subject, i'm definitely putting in! AND I don't really care about a big buck just want to check the field dressing!

Well I realized they didn't keep running because it was a perfect spot to bed, you couldn't get them from above or below or sideways. He had around 20 does with him on the lookout too, so I knew it wasn't going to be easy getting another chance at a shot. Schaff suggested I take off solo while he and my father in law waited and watched the stalk. I thought that was a great idea, and as I started my trek I looked back to make sure my father in law wasnt following me. :) I got close to the rim of the little bowl where the deer were at I started sneaking crouched slowly, poking my head up every step to see if I could see the buck. Nothing! They couldn't have left while I was stalking could they? Then I saw a pair of eyes in the sage and I dropped to my belly. The doe was looking right at me! I belly crawled my way back out because I hadn't seen the buck and the doe knew I was there and she would get up if I kept going. It took awhile to drop back, and I saw another approach where I could belly crawl behind a slight ridge about 2 feet high. I hate belly crawling in cactus country! But I knew I had to take my time or it would all be for nothing. Meanwhile schaff is keeping my father in law from firing his smith and Wesson I'm the air because "that will jump the deer" as I was taking too long. Well I belly crawled about 50 yards very slowly sniper style and I finally saw antlers!

[/PHP][/QUOTE]I was 300 yards away and he was bedded but I wanted to get closer I couldn't see his body. So I SLOWLY crawled another 75 yards and I couldn't get any closer. I didnt want to take a bedded shot, but I'm ashamed to say I did. He jumped up and spun around and trotted about 20 yards. I squeezed the trigger and he dropped. A heart shot at 224 yards. I was super happy, extremely relieved, and excited. I knew he wasn't a monster but it was my biggest buck and I was proud.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 1,924
As I walked up to him I was blown away! He had great mass and beautiful color. My biggest buck to date. Schaff and my father in law came up and we took pictures, dressed him(I didn't see any bikini models) a began the long drag out. The drag was a lot easier thanks to schaff. I really owe him a lot, he is a guy that just loves to hunt, like me. We joked as we rode back to camp in the truck how our wives were skeptical of us hunting with strangers. Both our wives thought we would be killed by a deranged psychotic killer. I think schaff even texted his wife to say I'm ok, and she said how do I know this isn't the killers and you've stolen the phone?!:D I am glad he took a chance and came out, what a great hunt!

I would be willing to bet that is one of the better bucks that have been killed in 652 on the last couple years. Great Buck and good write up.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
believeinyourself
Back