Pilots

In my late 20's & early 30's I was an active pilot and bought and sold until I worked in to a Super Cub. I loved every minute of it. Now I'm in my mid 40's. I'm no longer current and I don't have a Super Cub. Now I have a wife, 2 boys and house on acreage on the river bottom. No regrets. I just couldn't afford to have it all. Man, do I miss it though.

Man, do I miss it though.
Me too! Twenty years as an Army helicopter pilot, with two trips to VietNam, then many years flying with the Montana Army National Guard, mostly UH-1 Hueys, but some Bell Jet Rangers too.
'Grew up in Montana but never realized what a great state under the Big Sky until flying it from Glendive to the Yaak and from Plentywood to Lima and all over. It's real enjoyment to see where you live and hunt from the air.

I lived in kalispell for three years,never got to do any flying there! I fly for a living but really miss those single engine days. often wonder about flying the bush in AK. Now that's real pilot stuff! Has anyone landed at any of those remote strips in the Bob?

The only flying in western MT that I did was several trips to Schaffers Meadow for the annual flyin work session. Most of my flying was in northeastern MT. I spent a lot of time flying around the Missouri Breaks. At that time any 2 track that was relatively straight was a remote landing strip. I did a lot of shed hunting out of the Cub. One of my fondest flying memories is my lab pup sitting in the back seat with her nose against the window watching the ground go by as we were heading out for elk antlers.

I kinda wish you wouldn't have brought it up. I only miss it when I think about it which is less and less as the years go by. Thanks for bringing it up!

Do you think Santa would bring me a Super Cub? I've been really good.

SEL, mostly in taildraggers, but let my medical lapse and sold out of a part owner situation due to coronary problems. Ticker is straightened out now and considering getting back in.

I am but not current. Flew with a buddy a couple months ago and caught the bug again. Maybe if fuel prices stay low (doubtful) I will buy back into a share of a plane again and do more flying but I think it is more of a thing of the past with current prices.

Yep me too. I fly for a regional airline. Still waiting for a superstar celebrity like Randy to be on one of my flights.

Just for fun I looked into getting a license last night and looked at planes for sale. I never realized there are a lot of planes out there in the same price range as a new pickup. Although I think a new truck would be in order before a plane. The fact that I'd need a pile of expensive flight training also hinders my interest

Flight training isn't as expensive as you think. Especially if you have your own plane. I'm a current pilot, but I haven't flown in light singles in years.

I flew UH-1N's in the Marine Corps for 9 years. I still have my commercial pilots license but am not current. I miss some things about flying but I had to many close calls to really want to fly again.

Patrick

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back