DeLorme InReach SE???

I read an interesting storya bout a couple who had a satellite phone fail on them in an emergency. Had to pop the EPIRB to get rescued. Pretty bad when you can't count on a sat phone.

http://www.10news.com/news/eric-and-charlotte-kaufman-talk-to-10news-about-rescue-at-sea-070914

Kaufman noticed the phone was showing a SIM card error. He tried everything to restart the phone. He soon realized they were "in a really dangerous spot."

He said he had no choice but to activate the sailboat's emergency beacon.

With the new package deals on these I really think I am picking one up. Only thing is trying to decide what model to get. Cabelas has their first model on clearance. Left open the webpage the other day and the wife saw it and is pushing me to buy one. So I have the go ahead to buy just need to decide what model

Me too Don, just need to research more. Hope to get it before honeymoon trip to Alaska in 3 weeks , please post any info you find and I will do the same.

If you just want the texting option, then get the first models. That's what I wish I had gotten. The SE models allow you to post on Facebook and stuff like that and I don't use that option, or the stand alone texting feature. I still do the texting through my cell phone. One cool thing about the SE that I'm not sure the original model does, is that it puts a link and grid coordinates in your text message so that the receiver can click on it and see where you are. Just let everyone know that you may text that the numbers that come up on their phones are strange phone numbers, not your cell number.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info John.

The basic model is 100 bucks cheaper than the SE, and the new model is 100 bucks more than the SE. I was going to buy a Spot but with this deal I'm going this route.

I charged mine in May before the HT hunt. Used it a couple of times during the hunt when the cell service was wonky. It's been turned off ever since. I turned it on this weekend for the heck of it and my battery was still at 90%.

I was ready to buy the older version, not the SE, as it was on sale at Cabelas for $189. The next day it jumped to $224. Anyone seen any pricing in the $189 range?
I called DeLorme and visited with a tech guy about it. He stated that the only advantage to the new SE models is that they have their own display screen, so you don't HAVE to use it with your cell phone like you do with the older "smartphone" version. He also stated that the old version floats, and the new version is "neutrally buoyant". He also told me that any of the units take a few minutes to fire up and link to your phone before they can be used. I was also told they should work fine in a normal canopy of trees, but not in a very dense jungle-like canopy. You should have plenty of battery life if you just turn it on when you want to use it and then back off again. I went so far as to take the battery out of my phone so that I knew it would have life left in it if I needed it.

The SE does have it's own display screen and can be used without a cell phone. It's my personal preference to use it with my phone, since I can still use my voice to text on my phone, instead of the hunt and peck with up and down arrows of the SE screen as a stand alone. You can also post to social media like facebook with the SE model straight from the unit.

Anyone looking to pick up a SE before their hunting starts they have a 50 dollar rebate at Gander Mountain. It can be purchased online and I have the rebate form from Gander if anyone needs a copy.

Also there is a couple companies out there that now rent these but for my two week Elk hunt I would only save about 125 bucks so I went with buying one.

Does anyone know what you can expect for battery life? I have a 10 day hunt coming up and want to get this.

I used one on/off for 25 days on one charge. I did not leave it on for long periods of time, only to occasionally send and receive 1-10 texts once or twice a day. Ended up at about 40% battery life, starting at 90%.

Back