Go Back   Hunt Talk Forums > BIG GAME HUNTING > Bears

Old 05-31-2012, 01:34 AM

Dang guys, I must have the worst luck of anyone all year. I've been out more times than I can count and I've only seen one! A small Griz at that. Someone's gotta tell me their secret. I'm thinking I'll have to rub bacon grease all over myself in order to get something to come in so I can shoot it!!
Future Pro-Staffer of some important, but obscure company!!

Genesis 27:3 - Now therefore take, I pray the, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out into the field, and take me some venison;
Old 05-31-2012, 05:25 AM

Hey 308, at least you have been out hunting. There is no spring bear season in NY so I need to get on here everyday and see how all of you are making out.
Old 05-31-2012, 09:11 AM

d-bone, I know what you mean. I do the same thing with people who hunt moose. The chances of drawing a tag here in Montana are the same as winning the lottery and a date with Carrie Underwood in the same day, so I live vicariously through others!!
Future Pro-Staffer of some important, but obscure company!!

Genesis 27:3 - Now therefore take, I pray the, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out into the field, and take me some venison;
Old 05-31-2012, 10:09 PM

Here's field photos of two bears so far. Hopefully some more action this weekend.

Last edited by Greenhorn; 05-31-2012 at 10:12 PM.
Old 06-01-2012, 05:16 AM

My son (or millers) who's 5 saw the second pic and asked ,"What's that?" while pointing to the lower right of the pic.

"Those are the bear's testicles", I replied (wife's in the medical field, so yes that's what we have to call them).

"I can see the bears NUTS" was all I heard before he left the room giggling to himself.
Old 06-01-2012, 08:33 AM

Well my season ended last night. I found a big Dark chocolate boar at 730 last night and by the time I got to the meadow he was gone.

It was a good season. I saw way to many blacks and really wanted a color phase. total count on bear sightings was 31. All black color except for 4.
Old 06-01-2012, 08:43 AM

This is my brother's bear. It fell in the creek when he shot it- that is why it is so wet. It had a beautiful hide.

Last edited by GFHunter; 06-01-2012 at 09:17 AM.
Old 06-02-2012, 12:42 PM

I'll remember the yellow flowers tomorrow. I have killed one small boar (my first) in a field full of those flowers but only saw him for about 3 seconds before shots were fired. Didn't put two and two together until just now.
Old 06-08-2012, 08:25 AM

21 days.. still at 15 bears.. fewest sightings in a spring for me ever. I love the springs when the snowpack is high and the obvious places where bears must feed fill up. Years like this are when having a rancher buddy with a dead cow pile would pay off... a true "spot" and stalk bear.

Is anybody else still getting out? I think I've got a couple more days to get out and look before I switch species. Have already seen some elk that will be bombers this fall. Grown up to the royal fork as of last night with big honking first threes..
Old 06-08-2012, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenhorn View Post
Here's field photos of two bears so far. Hopefully some more action this weekend.

Didn't realize Mitch was a bear killa too! Nice work Greenie, always impressed with the animals you bring home, whether yourself or with others.
Old 06-08-2012, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenhorn View Post
21 days.. still at 15 bears.. fewest sightings in a spring for me ever. I love the springs when the snowpack is high and the obvious places where bears must feed fill up. Years like this are when having a rancher buddy with a dead cow pile would pay off... a true "spot" and stalk bear.

Is anybody else still getting out? I think I've got a couple more days to get out and look before I switch species. Have already seen some elk that will be bombers this fall. Grown up to the royal fork as of last night with big honking first threes..
I'm still looking. I agree on the slow year..especially the last couple of weeks. Everything is super green. I've made it a point to explore new areas this spring and that's been fun. Lots of elk and moose sightings lately. Saw a bachelor herd of 16 bulls the other night, a couple out to their 4ths.
I've got a couple more nights in me.
Old 06-08-2012, 11:30 AM

It has been an incredible bear season for me. I was able to make it into places I often cant get to until July. I lost count of how many I have seen so far but it is somewhere between 50 and 60 including about a dozen cubs.
Old 06-17-2012, 10:02 AM

I could only imagine the fun a guy could have had with a horse in the Scapegoat this last week. Hunt big old boars that have probably never seen a spring hunter in their life.