Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Two gun big game combo

Looks definitely go to the Winchester, no doubt. Functionality? M1A1. Just showing up in a hunt camp with one will make many camp stories, popping game with one will create Legend !! :D

I'm a fan of most everything based on the .308, so the 7mm-08 is a favorite of mine. But I also love the 25-06. I've owned two and it drops deer and antelope like they've been struck with the hammer of Thor. I was a huge fan of the late gun writer Bob Milek, and he, along with many others have used the 25-06 on Elk as well. Probably not an ideal Elk cartridge, but obviously it can be done if you pick your shots. And it makes a fine heavy varmint cartridge.

I got him a winchester 70 featherweight in 7mm-08 and was thinking of going with a browning a bolt stainless stalker in 30-06 (may have to settle for x bolt) as his next rifle. I thought this would cover a variety of weather, game, and gun preference.

You're actually closer than a lot of the other posters have said, at least in my book.

He's got a sweet whitetail/antelope/hog rifle with a nice wood stock and blued steel.

Then you're getting him a stainless gun that will take the abuse of a western elk/mule deer hunt or whatever Alaska can dish out.

Not bad, not bad.

I'd be very happy with an '06 as my "big gun" and something along the lines of a .243/.25-06 for a smaller one. 7/08 would be close enough too.

Out of the guns I own? I'd probably have to keep my .300 WBY and my .280 or my 7/08.

But really two guns is just torture.

7mm-08 / 7mm
7mm-08 / 300 Win
25-06 / 7mm. I have this combo and feel it's very well rounded. From varmints to moose.

I'm biased though.

Another option would be a lighter, SS/synthetic 7-08. That way he'd have a "gentlemen's" wood/blue version and one for steep/nasty weather. Since this is for your son, IMO, a bigger deal for me would be to have them both be on the same or very similar actions for familiarity of use. A Win Extreme Weather would be a nice compliment to the Featherweight!

I'm sorta in belly deep's camp....25-06 and a 300 short or long. You're plenty good with a 7-08 and 30 naught though.

I am anxious to try out the .300 WSM as soon as I get a scope on it and break it in. That being said, I don't think you can go wrong with a .270 for a good gun to use on everything but the dangerous game. I like the 45-70 for a brush gun, especially since I can use it now in Ohio during gun season.

right now my two gun I take on hunting trips is my 45-70 1895 guide gun with iron sites and my Howa Alpine Mt Rifle in .308. hard to beat that combo for all types of hunting and at the same time both rifles have the "cool" factor a lot of people like. 45-70 with a 7mm rem mag or 6.5 creedmoor would be a nice combo as well.

6mm Remington in a Ruger #1B for the smaller stuff, coyotes, deer, antelope, sheep.

.280 AI, 30-06, or 300 WSM for the larger stuff. I'd do that one in a Winchester Model 70 with the controlled round feed or a Montana Rifle Company product.

I would go with a Remington rifle. caliber is tough so many. 30-06, 7mm, 300 win mag, 270, 6.5... Good luck!

Ruger American in a .243 has been hard to beat this year. I also shoot a Ruger M77 Mark II in .30-06. I love both! My first rifle was a lever action .35 Remington and I should have never traded it.

My hunt-success proven combo has been the 25-06 rebuilt and gifted to me from my father-in-law and the Remington 700 BDL 7mm RM purchased in 1971 through the military exchange on my return from an all-expense paid trip to Southeast Asia. That combo has put many, many antelope, deer, and elk in the freezer.

However, as of late the 7mm-08 acquired for my fourteen year old grandson has impressed me as it has already put a trophy buck antelope, a large five-pt bull elk, a cow elk, and two nice muley bucks into the freezer.

Another option would be a lighter, SS/synthetic 7-08. That way he'd have a "gentlemen's" wood/blue version and one for steep/nasty weather. Since this is for your son, IMO, a bigger deal for me would be to have them both be on the same or very similar actions for familiarity of use. A Win Extreme Weather would be a nice compliment to the Featherweight!

The extreme weather is the other one I was heavily considering. I go back and forth constantly. His brother will eventually get an Abolt I picked up new in box on gunauction. I may just see how the two boys feel about each others rifles before taking the next step.

As an aside if I was starting over I would like to have a 760/7600 carbine in a 35 remington to go with my self rebuilt 700 bdl in .270.

I'm with some of the other guys, two rifles is a scary idea in the long term.

My pic and what I have is 25-06 and 300 win covers a wide range and they are two great calibers.

A 2 gun less over lapping purpose calibers could be ....a 308 which can reach out and take most game at distance and a 45-70 for brush and bruin.

VA, if you are going to go 35 Remington, go with a Remington Model 8, or 81. A rifle only an owner could love, but it has the old school cool factor. They were pretty reliable and accurate enough. Open sights only on those, though. Or a Savage 99 if you want to scope it.

Speaking of that, a 99 in 250 Savage and a 99F in .358 Winchester would be a hell of a fun pair of rifles.

At this point, you have about 30 rifles to purchase from all of our helpful suggestions. Better get some overtime at work.

Jeremy

Roger. If that's the case, I would take two pre 64 Model 70 featherweights in whatever caliber you gave me from .243 to 30-06, and I would kill anything that walked with them.

This. I have got a pre 64 in .308 that I have never put a bullet through it didn't like and wouldn't be hesitant to take after just about any game. I also like the brush gun thoughts above. Seems to be a practical idea that can also be aesthetically pleasing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tvrguy
Back