Shooting Elk in January ( With a camera! )

Hello!
Hope I'm not too off topic posting in this category..

Specifically regarding Elk, I'm looking for advice from any of you guys who double as a photographer...

I'm getting into photography slowly. I have been renting various DSLR bodies over the last few years, and have really settled on a purchase yet. But with the holiday season here, I'm starting to see some sales.

I was just curious, if we had any resident photographers on the forums? What is your go-to field gear for an Elk photo hunt?

- Joseph

Last edited:
Only caution is that what you are contemplating is during the elk's most vulnerable and weakest time of the year. Adding stress and burning energy just makes it harder for them to winter, and for the cows to carry their calves.

Only caution is that what you are contemplating is during the elk's most vulnerable and weakest time of the year. Adding stress and burning energy just makes it harder for them to winter, and for the cows to carry their calves.

A little photo shoot shouldn't pressure them that much. I'm sure there is A lot of other factors that will do more damage.

To the OP. Hopefully get to see some good photos.

I would intend to be reaching out at the 400-600mm focal range, the animals won't be disturbed.

Oh, and it's worth mentioning I'll be seeking Bulls that are usually late pulling out of the high country, and carrying a Wolf tag.

I have a d7200 that I really like, but the d500 is currently at a good price and tempts me often. Plan to wait until March to pull the trigger. Let us know what you decide.

Last edited:
Living in South Central Colorado, the Elk here aren't Winter stressed. The intense Sun here usually melts off the South facing slopes a few days after a snowfall, and the overall snow isn't that deep.
I am out taking pics all Winter, as we live in a Wintering area. Most of the time, I'm not seeing big Bulls, as they do tend to stay up higher, not with the Cows, and much more difficult to get into that country on an ATV.
I just use my cheap Nikon camera, as it does a fairly good job, zooms up to 40X, and it's what I use as it doesn't get much TLC banged around. I enjoy seeing the Elk, and they're usually easy to find, as they do trail up.

For wildlife ....... Canon 7DII body, Canon 500 F4 (when weight/size is not an issue) or a Canon 400 f5.6 when weight is an issue. I also usually have a 1.4x on the 500 and even occasionally on the 400.

Aw, shooot. Here in Montana we're still mowing the poor hungry buggers down and slapping our general and our extra tag on em at that time of year.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back