MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Slinging Ling...

Big Sky

Got out Saturday night. It was a great time to be on the Missouri River slinging ling up onto the bank. Despite wind gusts up to 40 mph we still had a great time. One really cool event just prior to getting our lines in the water we ran into a herd of Rocky Mountain bighorn sheep. There were about 25 or so sheep with 6 big rams and several other smaller rams. Unfortunately it was right at last light and we couldn't get any decent photos, but it was awesome having those wild sheep just 30 yards away and not the least bit afraid of us. I don't think seeing wild sheep like that up close will ever get old. Catching these ugly fish that taste so darn good on the table will not likely get old anytime soon either.
Troy%20Adams%2012-3-16A_zps0bn4dnjw.jpg

Sweet! Have never caught one of those. What methods/bait were you using? They sure are a high level of ugly.

1_pointer, I agree with your statement of ugly. The dang things about half creep me out, but they taste so good I get over it. We used dead minnows, fished right on the bottom. Sucker meat also works really well and I wish we had some, but they seemed to be fine with the minnows Saturday. It's pretty much a night fishing gig and we were done by 9pm. It was nice to get home and get to bed at a decent hour.

1_pointer, I agree with your statement of ugly. The dang things about half creep me out, but they taste so good I get over it. We used dead minnows, fished right on the bottom. Sucker meat also works really well and I wish we had some, but they seemed to be fine with the minnows Saturday. It's pretty much a night fishing gig and we were done by 9pm. It was nice to get home and get to bed at a decent hour.

I think that is the gold standard for Ling...toss out big hook/jig with some sucker meat and hang out. One the ice I sometimes jig to pound the bottom with the rig but our departure is usually way past 9pm.

Are those the fish that wrap around your arm like a python when you grab them out of the water?

Thanks for that. Sounds just like how we approach catfish here.

We call them eelpout here in MN. Walker MN has a huge party on the ice every Feb to celebrate them. Good time and good eating. Nice catch!

That's awesome BigSky. I don't think they are ugly, I think they are one of the coolest looking fish out there. Look at the green and black on those fish. It's a decorative camouflage.

We had a fish fry with ling the other day. Other than Walleye, they are the most delicious fish in Montana IMO. Thanks for sharing, I always dig your fishing pictures.

Attachments

• Fried.jpg
    Fried.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 225
NamelssRange, I actually like the taste of ling better than walleye...and I like walleye quite a bit. As for the looks on those fish. I do think they are creepy, but the camo pattern with the green/black design is very cool looking. It's just those eel/snake like tendencies that weird me out a little.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hardan9
Back