Kuiu ultra star 1P tent review

ZSD

I haven't posted much on here, but it's a large community and I feel compelled to post my review of the new kuiu 1 person tent here. First i'd like to say that this tent is the only peice of kuiu equipment that I own. My experience with backpacking has had me in a double wall tent up until now. I searched for new gear that was lighter and better and was led to the kuiu tent. It checked off all the boxes on my list of requirements and exceeded them in the weight department. When I first received the tent in the mail, I thought that the box was empty. Upon removing the tent from the box felt as though It didn't weigh much more than an empty Nalgene bottle. In fact the tent weighs 1lb 7 oz according to there website. I can't verify that because I don't have a scale. I will tell you that it's so light it's a joke. Moving on, the material feels thin, which is to be expected on something so light. But It doesn't feel weak. At least not while the tent is dry. Once wet, as if in the rain, the material really soaks up water and becomes very saggy. Set up is a breeze with the use of a trekking pole. The staking and guy line instructions are sewn right into the tent storage bag. I estimate 2 mins for pitching this tent. The picture from kuiu's website and marketing material shows a very taught setup when the tent is pitched correctly. I found this very easy to achieve with the height adjustment on my trekking pole. As far size goes, it is better than a bivy sack. I am 6'2 and 175lbs and I filled out every square foot of it. You can sit up in this tent but the wall angle encroaches on your shoulder space. Again, all to be expected from something as feather lite as this. The vestibule is sufficient for pulling your pack in from the rain and keeping boots away from the elements as well. Now for the detracting factors limiting this tent from being an absolute star. CONDENSATION. A single wall tent has condensation issues, I get it. But I awoke every morning of my September elk hunt with a soaked foot box on my sleeping bag. Where my shoulders touched the side walls of the tent, soaked. Anywhere my bag touched the tent was soaked through. I could not manage the condensation with the incorporated vent system. With both vent wide open, condensation is still an issue. As a matter of fact, I chose to sleep with the door unzipped open on the final day and still woke to a fully saturated tent. Also, I cannot say whether the tent leaks or not. We encountered rain for 2 days but due to condensation I couldn't distinguish the 2. I'd love to love this tent as it has so many great features that matter to me. But I will be returning it to kuiu and moving on to something else. If anyone would like a video of the pitching or pics of the tent I can do that

ZSD

I used it quite a bit at higher and drier elevations. Still condensation but manageable. I put a SOLbivy over the footbox of the bag.
It's good for early season, dry-ish weather. It's better than no shelter. It certainly isn't something I'd want to take on a weeklong bad weather trip.

Your experience seems to be pat for the course with this tent. The shitty thing is I STILL want to try it for myself because I want it to work for me so badly lol.

I may go with an MLD Duomid for solo trips instead. Not much heavier (if at all) and less condensation bc theees a lot more room in it.

Thanks for the input on that tent ZSD and MTGomer. I was looking at them during the sale but was worried about the size and touching the walls.

Can you return the tent after using? I know their return policy is pretty tight on backpacks and anything clothing related.

I have a 1P Hilleberg Akto, probably the best 1P tent around, but like all the others, it still gets condensation issues, no matter how you vent it, you just have to be careful not to touch the sides, easier for me being 5' 9'', maybe a problem for a 6' 2'' person.
Cheers
Richard

My buddy had one of the Kuiu 1p tents. It was extremely light, but like the OP said it was pretty tight confines inside for a single-wall design. I was going to buy one but when I saw his I decided not to. The 2P actually looks like a better solo tent to me, still pretty light and much bigger inside than the 1P...

I am a kuiu fan, but being that size myself I'd prefer more space like a 2 man tent to keep my gear dry in case of bad weather. That being said condensation is our worst enemy!

Attachments

• Geico_Raccoons_Garbage-300x250.jpg
    Geico_Raccoons_Garbage-300x250.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 1,778
Can you return the tent after using? I know their return policy is pretty tight on backpacks and anything clothing related.

I'm hoping I can. I can't see not accepting return on an item that basically new. But we will see I'll be attempting the return this week and post my experience.

I'm hoping I can. I can't see not accepting return on an item that basically new. But we will see I'll be attempting the return this week and post my experience.

I doubt you can return after using it unless it was defective or something...

Hilleberg Nallo 3GT has kept me dry on over a dozen backpack hunts from 90F to a bit below freezing. High winds, buckets of rain, dead calm heat and everything in between. Not that heavy or bulky and has double roof system to deal with condensation plus vents you can open/close. Plus the vestibule. I can store a lot inside the tent and the vestibule which is nice if is raining during the hunt. I am all for saving ounces and cubic inches but I really like to sleep well and stay dry while doing it

I used to have a "mummy" tent for backpacking and could not sit up in the tent plus the condensation would drip and rub onto the sleeping bag as moved around. That got old fast but thought that was the nature of backpacking.

Most 2P tents are really for one person if you want to put your boots, etc, inside out of the rain. I went with a 3P and feels like have a small hotel room. Zero regrets once got past the cost.

Hilleberg Nallo 3GT has kept me dry on over a dozen backpack hunts from 90F to a bit below freezing. High winds, buckets of rain, dead calm heat and everything in between. Not that heavy or bulky and has double roof system to deal with condensation plus vents you can open/close. Plus the vestibule. I can store a lot inside the tent and the vestibule which is nice if is raining during the hunt. I am all for saving ounces and cubic inches but I really like to sleep well and stay dry while doing it

I used to have a "mummy" tent for backpacking and could not sit up in the tent plus the condensation would drip and rub onto the sleeping bag as moved around. That got old fast but thought that was the nature of backpacking.

Most 2P tents are really for one person if you want to put your boots, etc, inside out of the rain. I went with a 3P and feels like have a small hotel room. Zero regrets once got past the cost.

Do you set it up and break it down everyday, or do you set it up and leave it for the duration of your hunt, and hunt around it?

OP I to have the1P tent from KUIU. Haven't been in it yet, but for what I got it for I couldn't pass it up. I plan on using it this coming September. I have read about the condensation issues as well though. I hope it doean't get me to bad.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back