Yeti GOBOX Collection

Bighorn sheep euthanizations

Oak

Expert
Some of you may remember the discussion about the following photo we had in my sheep hunt thread.

Sheep2_zps8lrdxvw0.jpg

The August 21 incident mentioned in the article below took place about a mile from where the photo above was taken at the end of July.

6 Bighorn sheep euthanized this summer.

I have kept a close eye on these events (having participated in the Tendoy Sheep hunt twice). I am more and more convinced that unless there is more done to limit the contact and interaction of wild and domestic sheep we won't have any. Pneumonia die offs have become more frequent and the number of strains of the bug are numerous. I fear in my lifetime we will loose sheep hunting in the lower 48.

oak, what do u think?

I think we shouldn't have public land domestic sheep allotments on top of bighorn sheep. I support the policy of removing bighorn sheep that are known or suspected to have come in contact with domestics.

Bighorns that come in contact with potential disease carrying domestics need to be removed, but that is treating a symptom, not curing a sickness. I know its politically contentious, but I think removing domestics from public lands where they can come in contact with wild sheep is the only solution.
Buying out the allottments is not a bad idea.

Killing sick bighorns is an ugly business. To bad its needed.

Bighorns that come in contact with potential disease carrying domestics need to be removed, but that is treating a symptom, not curing a sickness. I know its politically contentious, but I think removing domestics from public lands where they can come in contact with wild sheep is the only solution.
Buying out the allottments is not a bad idea.
Buying the permit/preference/herd, does not and should not IMO close an allotment...

I had to deal with a situation where a permittee made concessions for a bighorn sheep transplant. The bighorns then moved outside of where they were intended to be to another portion of a range, different allotment, where the same permittee had a permit. How would you suggest situations like that be dealt with?

Buying the permit/preference/herd, does not and should not IMO close an allotment...

Allotment "retirements" don't have to, and often don't, close an allotment. As you know, closing an allotment usually takes an amendment to a LUP. Some LUPs include concessions for allotment closures in high conflict areas in the event a permit is waived back without preference.

I had to deal with a situation where a permittee made concessions for a bighorn sheep transplant. The bighorns then moved outside of where they were intended to be to another portion of a range, different allotment, where the same permittee had a permit. How would you suggest situations like that be dealt with?

Teach sheep how to read a map?

Allotment "retirements" don't have to, and often don't, close an allotment. As you know, closing an allotment usually takes an amendment to a LUP. Some LUPs include concessions for allotment closures in high conflict areas in the event a permit is waived back without preference.
I'm of the opinion that a "retirement" is a loose interpretation of the grazing regulations, at least for the BLM. The restrictions for non-use are regularly not adhered to. Many folks seem unconcerned with that, but ask for strict adherence to other portions of the grazing regulations...

For those that fall into that last scenario, I'm good with that.

I'm of the opinion that a "retirement" is a loose interpretation of the grazing regulations, at least for the BLM. The restrictions for non-use are regularly not adhered to.

Can you explain these restrictions for non-use and how they are not adhered to specifically in the case of a "retirement?"

Can you explain these restrictions for non-use and how they are not adhered to specifically in the case of a "retirement?"
Non-use is defined in the regs as temporary and at the discretion of the authorized officer. This can be and is granted on a yearly basis, in some cases for longer than the term of the permit. I assume most would think that the retirement of a permit to be a permanent thing. If so, make it permanent via NEPA and the land use planning process.

Are "vacant" and "held in non-use" the same thing? I believe the authorized officer has the discretion to modify authorized grazing use indefinitely if continued grazing use poses an imminent likelihood of significant resource damage.

I don't think so to the first one. Non-use must be applied for by the permittee and only approved for a fee year.

Indefinite and imminent are counter to each other. Indefinite modification of a permit would require at a minimum for a NEPA decision to be issued and really should involve a land use level decision. Modification of a permit/lease is allowed if it does not meet objectives in a (new) land use plan, allotment mangement plan, or other applicable decision. Even for fires a decision has to be issued that can be appealed to modify the permit.

I guess I should have qualified "indefinitely." I have yet to see a NEPA analysis involving bighorn sheep risk issues be completed in a year. I am aware of a BLM permit in CO that was in voluntary non-use for resource protection (bighorn sheep) for a decade through an agreement between the permittee and the BLM. When the permittee wanted to restock it he was told the BLM needed to complete NEPA first. That analysis was first scoped in 2012. We haven't even seen a draft EIS yet.

...get the meadow maggots out of BHS ranges. Hell get them out of any game areas......
Sorry, not much of a sheep guy any more.

We had two cases of elk getting a sheep fly larvae on the cartiod arteries here and killing them.Type of brain fever.1st case of this sheep fly problem since this area became cattle country 200 yrs ago.Then it started showing up in the southern Gila when an increase in maggot grazing came in after the big Gila fire.

An agreement is different than temporary non-use.

Since the agreement went longer than a decade, I'm guessing NEPA is required because the permit expired and a decision is required to issue a permit. I'd think an EA would be way more appropriate than an EIS. Not having seen the particulars of the agreement, sounds to me like the guy's getting a reach-around...

hank4- You must not like mule deer to have that kind of animosity towards sheep... ;)

Since the agreement went longer than a decade, I'm guessing NEPA is required because the permit expired and a decision is required to issue a permit. I'd think an EA would be way more appropriate than an EIS. Not having seen the particulars of the agreement, sounds to me like the guy's getting a reach-around...

They originally scoped for an EA and then realized that was not going to fly. No way to authorize domestic sheep grazing on that allotment and neighboring allotments and issue a FONSI with a straight face.

hank4- You must not like mule deer to have that kind of animosity towards sheep... ;)[/QUOTE]

I degress,I raised some for the weaver I lived with for 20 yrs. Mohair,from some
Had friends that raised sheep for cheese too.....the best I ever had.

My 1st love is mule deer & hunting them,with a in my face focus on elk the last 10 yrs.
I don't get the not like mule deer part?
I just still see the damage they do overall,for a long time.
I also see way to much overgrazing on public lands by cattle ranchers these days. The rancher/cattlemen I learned from and respect would be appalled at this ruination of the rangelands .

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back