PEAX Equipment

nonresident licenses in MT

Northwoods

My brother moved from Wyoming to Montana so I'm reading through the Montana hunting regulations. A nonresident big game combination is $1001.50. This includes the following licenses; conservation, deer, elk, upland bird, base hunting, and season fishing.

Now the regulations state that in order to apply for a license I first need to have a base hunting license and conservation license. However, I'm assuming that since the big game combo includes these two licenses I will be able to just apply for the big game combo without first purchasing the conservation and base hunting license. Is this correct? I'm sure it will make more sense once I actually go through the application process.

In a nut shell, you go online, pay the 1001 bucks and you are done. You can get your base hunting license then apply for a tag in the draw units. If you just want the OTC tag, it'll be a cool grand.

Hope that all makes sense.

Speeddmn- That helps, thanks. Now, what if I decide to apply for a draw tag? I purchase the conservation and base, then apply for an elk tag. If I draw what am I buying? The elk combination for $851 or something else?

I recommend that you call MT FWP directly. Not that the above isn't good info or that many of us do know and are willing to share. But, on the off chance that something is wrong or misinterpreted you will want to have an official answer.

I recommend that you call MT FWP directly.

And for $1001, they will be pleased to talk to you.

We hunted MT this year, after a long absence. We got the deer combo and had a great time at an undisclosed location (Big Fin already does a great job of publicizing the state). Everybody we talked to - resident, non-resident and official, was friendly and helpful. We are considering the big game combo for next year.

On second thoughts, don't go. We had a terrible time, saw no game, and everyone was nasty.

Guys,

I may be hijacking this thread but i cant figure out the draw percentage for non residents of the Montana General Deer Tag for the life of me. Could someone help me figure out how to get this information? I pasted a link below and i think this is what I need to be looking at?

http://fwp.mt.gov/fwpDoc.html?id=72870

If what you mean is the Montana Non Resident General Deer license combo, then you are looking at the wrong information. The link you provided is for deer permits for special permit drawings for respective hunting districts. There is a difference between license and permit. Either is commonly referred to as a "tag".
Go to the following link for explanation: http://fwp.mt.gov/hunting/regulations/

I am referring to the General Deer License combo. I still can't figure it out though with that link you sent? I am wanting to try to hunt Region 6 or 7 next year during Thanksgiving Break. It looks like I would need to apply for the tag in the draw, but i still cant find the draw statistics.

You still have to put into the draw though? Why wouldn't it be over the counter if the draw is always 100%?

You apply for General Deer License combo first, then determine where you want to hunt. Many hunting districts are open to hunting bucks without a special permit, but some require a permit. You should look at the hunting regulations which are online to research specific hunting districts you may want to consider. http://fwp.mt.gov/hunting/regulations/

As ShootsManyBullets pointed out, pretty much ... 100 percent draw on the general tags. If you want a specific special permit, there are statistics tables, but don't know if you can really see chances for NRs. Anyhow, read the regulations, study the various hunting districts' information ... then ask a specific question if still uncertain.

As far as a broad plan to
hunt Region 6 or 7 next year during Thanksgiving Break
that should not be a problem.

I appreciate the information. I understand the special permits and see the draw odds on them. I just couldn't figure out how or why you apply for the general combo tags and then not see the draw odds on it. I think you guys answered all of my questions. Thank you very much and I wish you guys a great holiday

Montana takes something that should be simple and makes it difficult. It's a hallmark trait of poorly run organizations.

You can just buy them in one transaction. You don't have to make two transactions if that's what you're asking.

If you're wondering why it's complicated enough that you have to ask, I have no idea

Back