Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Finished my first euro mount

jquigley

It ain't perfect, but it was a hell of a lot of fun doing my first euro mount on my own! I seem to be allergic to paying for taxidermy. Thanks to all here who gave me tips and tricks, not only for the skull but for helping get me on my first bull elk in the first place!

Oh, and it turns out front yard taxidermy brings people together. I live in a super suburban part of San Diego, not exactly a haven for the hunter. Was fun to see how many neighbors brought their kids over and wanted to see what was sticking out of the giant pot in the front yard. Even had a guy pushing a stroller walk by wearing a First Lite hat. Once the look of shock wore off both our faces, I found out he'd just moved to town and we planned to get together and chase some turkeys. All in all, a really gratifying experience.

20161115_123702.jpg20161115_123716.jpg

Last edited:
Love the plaque. Homemade?

Thanks everyone! Yea, I made the plaque. Been making them for a little while as gifts and always thought they might make a cool backer. Did this one with New Mexico colors since the bull came out of Gila. Pretty happy with it.

I just did my first one, too, on a muley. I seemed to have a little more trouble than I expected in getting out some of the meat. I'm hoping that's because I let it boil a bit instead of always only just simmer. For future skulls, if I'm lucky enough to get one, I am going to try the technique I later read of taking the skull from the simmering pot into another warm soapy pot and using an air compressor to blow the meat off. My only fear is that it may damage the turbinates (nose swirls) but I did that anyway when trying to pick out the meat in there.

Can you tell me how you bleached it so well? I used some 40 volume peroxide but it didn't get really white. I'm wondering if I need to put more on or do something else.

All in all, it beats paying the taxidermist $150-250 (depending on animal) and having to wait 3 months.

How did you mount it to the plaque? I was thinking of using bondo in the skull to drill into.

Looks great Jeff, congrats on the bull too.
Hey, don't forget to look me up whenever you happen to make it to Ohio visiting family.

I just did my first one, too, on a muley. I seemed to have a little more trouble than I expected in getting out some of the meat. I'm hoping that's because I let it boil a bit instead of always only just simmer. For future skulls, if I'm lucky enough to get one, I am going to try the technique I later read of taking the skull from the simmering pot into another warm soapy pot and using an air compressor to blow the meat off. My only fear is that it may damage the turbinates (nose swirls) but I did that anyway when trying to pick out the meat in there.

Can you tell me how you bleached it so well? I used some 40 volume peroxide but it didn't get really white. I'm wondering if I need to put more on or do something else.

All in all, it beats paying the taxidermist $150-250 (depending on animal) and having to wait 3 months.

How did you mount it to the plaque? I was thinking of using bondo in the skull to drill into.

Nuevo,

I bleached using 30 Volume stuff from the beauty supply store. Mixed 1/1 with water and simmered for 30 minutes. Removed and sprayed down then applied a coat of mop n glo. To be honest, I have no idea what this accomplished but it was suggested several times so why argue?

As for the plaque, I ran high test picture hanging wire through the holes directly behind the eyes, twisted it a few times and then ran behind the base of the skull around the big sturdy pieces there. Then I simply attached one the 100 lbs rated hook available in these packs http://www.homedepot.com/p/OOK-Professional-Picture-Hanging-Value-Pack-34-Piece-50918/100039637 directly to the plaque. The plaque is then hung on the wall using a Z-bar like this http://www.homedepot.com/p/Hangman-...ure-Hanger-with-Stud-Finder-HM-30DS/206795227.

I test hung the skull on the plaque and leaned it against the wall for a few days to make sure the wire and hanger would hold, then hung the way I always do these pieces. Those Z-bars have never let me down.

Hope that helps! I'd send some pictures but I figure the less it gets fussed with the better!

Looks great Jeff, congrats on the bull too.
Hey, don't forget to look me up whenever you happen to make it to Ohio visiting family.

Thanks, brother! Would never dream of visiting without saying hi! Need to time it so you can show me what this midwest whitetail thing is all about!

Local dude in Escondido here. Mount looks real good. I just finished 2 Pronghorn and a buck I took on Pendleton. What other sort of backgrounds do you do?

Pretty darn cool Jeff!
The weathered choice picks of wood adds some really nice character!

I bleached using 30 Volume stuff from the beauty supply store. Mixed 1/1 with water and simmered for 30 minutes. Removed and sprayed down then applied a coat of mop n glo. To be honest, I have no idea what this accomplished but it was suggested several times so why argue?

Thanks a bunch for the response - I hadn't read it yet to boil IN the peroxide! Maybe that's the secret. And the metal cleat makes sense, especially due to the weight of the whole package. It really looks sharp and I appreciate the very cool presentation of my state's colors.

Looks good. I have done two so far. A wild pig from Texas and a small 8 point whitetail. I have a small 5 point my son shot with a bow that I will do next time I have some time.

Holy cow, you guys boil it in the volume 40? No wonder mine isn't as bright, I've just brushed on about 4 ozs, tops and let is sit for a day before washing it.

Good info here and great mounts. BTW, I'd have no regrets doing euro on that cool muley, donniebrasco.

Thanks everyone! Yea, I made the plaque. Been making them for a little while as gifts and always thought they might make a cool backer. Did this one with New Mexico colors since the bull came out of Gila. Pretty happy with it.

Cool idea, I can see that now that you mentioned it.

Well, I simmered it 1 gallon of 40vol developer mixed with 3-4 gallons of water, If you boiled it in STRAIGHT developer, it would likely dissolve it!!!

And thanks for the comment on my deer.... but it was a KS Whitetail that WANTED to be a "mulie" :)

Holy cow, you guys boil it in the volume 40? No wonder mine isn't as bright, I've just brushed on about 4 ozs, tops and let is sit for a day before washing it.

Good info here and great mounts. BTW, I'd have no regrets doing euro on that cool muley, donniebrasco.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back