Yeti GOBOX Collection

Wyoming Antelope Report

bowhuntmontana

Picked up some leftover tags for a unit I hunted back in 2010. It was a tough hunt then, but I always wanted to go back with good GPS tools...and a bike. Public is tough to access here, but OnXmaps was incredible. I was really wanting some antelope meat, so I had a buck tag and 4 doe tags.

Got this doe 2.5 miles into a piece of public on the first day Saturday).
20161008_114422.jpg

I took Sunday off, going to church in town, and then driving the unit to see what kind of buck might be realistic. The best buck I saw was maybe 14 inches, so I knew I shouldn't be too picky. I made my plan for the next day to go deeper into that piece of public, using some oil and gas roads, walking around a few private pieces. The plan worked. I came on this buck by himself and knew he was good enough for me.

20161010_093113.jpg

I was already 3 miles back in, and I knew I had glassed more antelope than just this lone buck in the morning. I decided to look into the next draw to see if I could fill another tag before heading out. I was worried about the potential pack out, but figured I was up for it. Looked in the next draw and there were antelope. Doe number two down.

20161010_113436.jpg

I boned her out and went back and picked up the game bag with the boned out buck. Two antelope and my gear got to be a bit heavy. I had biked back in, but biking out with that load was a chore. It felt like the pack wanted to pull me off the bike and I was doing one intense crunch any time I was on the bike. But, that was part of the fun. I was able to bike some of the way back, walk up the hills and around the private pieces again. I felt like I had earned it once I was out. I headed home that afternoon. I am loving having some antelope meat again.

20161010_133744.jpg

If someone smarter than me wants to rotate those pics, I'd be obliged.

Hunting Antelope seems to be getting a lot more popular. I love seeing the reports, especially these kinds where guys are actually hunting, not road whoring! Great hunt and report!

Hunting Antelope seems to be getting a lot more popular. I love seeing the reports, especially these kinds where guys are actually hunting, not road whoring! Great hunt and report!

I am certainly not above taking a gift goat close to a road, but that just wasn't an option where I was. However, the relative difficulty and level of work for this hunt really makes it enjoyable for me. I felt a definite sense of accomplishment. If it all works out, I'll be back there next year...unless I draw a tag for another unit.

Did you simply park by the road and take off looking for antelope? I'm wanting to go next fall have a couple bonus points just trying to decide where to go.....

I only hunt for doe antelope.I like the meat and have enough mounts on the wall.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back