MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Colorado 4th Season

CoHunt

Who all is going out for 4th season in Colorado? I'm going solo for the first time and I'm fairly excited but also a little nervous. The 16th can't get here fast enough. Good Luck to everyone else that is heading out. Also I'm new to this blog and I've already learned a lot, hopefully I can contribute in the future.

is there any snow on the peaks at least? I'm going to assume you live near the Rio Grande NF. I live near the Springs and Pikes Peak is barren.

I forgot to mention in my original post that I'll be in unit 79, that's why I mentioned Rio Grande earlier, just realized I made that mistake. And cows for me as well

I happened to see you're hunting in Unit 79. Do you have a specific area scouted or picked out? Just curious as I live pretty close to that unit and sometimes ride horses in that country. Sometimes I think the Elk are hard to find, or few and far between until the weather moves them. But what do I know!

Looking for snow?
I was out on the horse today, and got up high a couple times. In looking N.W. towards the LaGarita Mts from an area about 5 miles South of Del Norte., there was a unbroken band of snow cap on the peaks there. However with our intense Sun there won't be any snow unless the weather changes drastically. I was out in just a long sleeve tee shirt and lightweight shirt and was plenty warm. Of course that could all change overnight, but our weather forecast is for Sunny & mild all this week anyway.

I'm leaving Monday for 4th season deer on 77, 78. The weather didn't help this year, but I'll make the best of it. Good luck to everybody.

Vacationing near Rico this weekend. Drove over to Telluride today. Snow on the shaded parts of the peaks above timberline but not very much at that. Have not seen any elk. Did see one nice buck outside of Telluride on the prowl for does.

Should be getting a little weather 17th and 18th. Barametric pressure drops, and a little snow should help a bit to get them moving. Low temps on Friday may keep them up feeding a little later. Good luck!

I'll be headed out for the 4th too (bull tag). No snow in my area either. Hoping the weatherman is right for wednesday night and thursday. Only a skiff is expected anyway. Good luck to everyone!

NWS update.

Mild and dry conditions will persist through Tuesday as high pressure remains over the region. A strong Pacific storm will sweep across the Northwest U.S. and push into the Great Basin by Wednesday. Winds will increase out of the southwest on Wednesday ahead of this storm, with temperatures warming to near record levels at a few locations. This storm will then move across eastern Utah and western Colorado by Thursday, ushering much colder temperatures. Rain and snow is also expected with snow levels dropping to the valley floors by Thursday night. There is some potential for heavy snowfall, especially for the northern and central mountains in western Colorado!

Back