wyoming elk cow tags

PAGOAT

So I'm looking at getting a cow tag for next year while I'm out in the area hunting but I don't want to use my preference points so am I correct in thinking I need to find a type 6 tag to not use points ? It looks as if the type 4 tag is antlerless elk but in the point section ? The area I wanted to hunt is an 8 point unit for a type 1 bull tag but only has type 4 cow tags. Thanks for the help.

Goat

Type 6 or 7 - Reduced price elk tags do not use your full price points.

Type 1, 2, 4, 9 - Full price elk tags do use your full price points

I think you have already answered it TheDudeAbides but I just want to be sure I understand correctly. If I put a type 6 cow/calf tag as my first choice and I draw successfully can I still buy a preference point for a full price tag (types 1,2,4 and 9)? Thanks!

I think you have already answered it TheDudeAbides but I just want to be sure I understand correctly. If I put a type 6 cow/calf tag as my first choice and I draw successfully can I still buy a preference point for a full price tag (types 1,2,4 and 9)? Thanks!

Yes,as the draw for the cow tag you want (Type 6) is not in the draw with the full price tags and doesn't affect your points or applying for them.

Thanks all that will be my plan for this year then. Let me know if anyone has any unit suggestions for a reasonable to draw cow tag. Right now I'm looking at units 9,10, 11, 12 and 110.

Look at the drawing reports on the WYGFD Web site for tag availability. I also check the harvest report for elk. It has a breakdown for each unit and type of tag. Good luck.

All of those Snowy Range units are ok just expect to see many hunters.Cows are much easier to find there than bulls.

So I'm looking at getting a cow tag for next year while I'm out in the area hunting but I don't want to use my preference points so am I correct in thinking I need to find a type 6 tag to not use points ? It looks as if the type 4 tag is antlerless elk but in the point section ? The area I wanted to hunt is an 8 point unit for a type 1 bull tag but only has type 4 cow tags. Thanks for the help.

Goat

You could put type 1 as first choice and type 4 as 2nd choice. You wouldn't use your points and chances are good that you would draw your cow tag as a 2nd choice. You'd have to check the draw odds though in the random draw odds table.

Type 6 tags are TOTALLY separate from everything else. Straight up random draw and no points are used. You could draw a type 1 tag and also a type 6.

Thanks all that will be my plan for this year then. Let me know if anyone has any unit suggestions for a reasonable to draw cow tag. Right now I'm looking at units 9,10, 11, 12 and 110.

Area 7 would be a better choice for a cow elk tag, in my opinion. There are always left over area 7 type 6 tags but they sell out fast. I would apply for a type 6 in the initial draw. Area 7 has lots of public and private land, and can kind of be a hassle to access the public land, but with the ONX hunt map app or GPS chip it is pretty easy to find access to more land that you could hunt all season. Its a long season, tons of elk, and if you are willing to hike any distance from the roads you have a good chance and finding some elk, in my experience anyway. I've hunted cows in area 10 a few times and have had good luck. Some of that was on private land though. Area 110 has some cool country, but the cow season isn't that long. Harder area to hunt than 7. I have no experience in area 9, 11 or 12. Good luck!

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back