Replacement Stocks and Recoil

Okesa270

Just wondering if a good replacement stock like B&C or HS will reduce recoil compared to factory stocks? I'm aware of the added accuracy from buying one of these with a bedding system in it, just curious about recoil effects. Thoughts or experiences??

I replaced my 30-06 700 walnut stock with a Hogue overmolded full bed stock and it has no recoil to me now.I can shoot a box and not get sore. I used to be black & blue before. Has built in Simms pad.
I put a Simms pad on my .50 cal mz and it cut the kick in half at least.

I installed an BC Medalist on my Tikka T3 (7mm Rem); which with the factory stock was not fun to shoot, and it definitely managed the felt recoil better. I could not point to a specific feature of the stock that changed the feel, but am assuming it had to do with ergonomics somehow.

I know that Boyd's stocks reduce recoil, but I am not sure by how much.

I like Boyd's because I can get a custom length of pull, which can be a problem with my length of pull and standard gun stocks.

Also, recoil pads are your friend.

Just wondering if a good replacement stock like B&C or HS will reduce recoil compared to factory stocks? I'm aware of the added accuracy from buying one of these with a bedding system in it, just curious about recoil effects. Thoughts or experiences??

It will if it's heavier.

Proper length/ergonomics, added weight, and a good recoil pad all affect felt recoil.

It will if it's heavier.

Had to laugh at this response. Succinct and true. A new stock won't physically reduce recoil unless it's heavier. But that's not really what's important-- it's the "felt" recoil that matters. I changed out a factory Rem tupperware stock to a B&C stock, and the recoil characteristics were completely different. It felt much softer even though the replacement stock was 4oz lighter.

Since I started this thread its obvious I have never bought an aftermarket stock. Which makes me ask you guys this. What is a good stock without spending $500-$600 on a manners or McMillan. Could probably make a whole new thread just for that topic.

+1 for the B&C medalist stock. Reasonable price and comfortable to shoot. I have them on a 7mm and a 300wsm. $249 at redhawk rifles

Since I started this thread its obvious I have never bought an aftermarket stock. Which makes me ask you guys this. What is a good stock without spending $500-$600 on a manners or McMillan. Could probably make a whole new thread just for that topic.

Unless you are trying to go super light, the BC Medalist with the aluminum bedding block is a great option. They also make a little lighter version the "Alaskan II", a few bucks more and a few ounces less.

I have one of each and they are pretty dang nice for the price. Keep your eyes peeled and you can find some good sales on them at Midway and Redhawk rifles.

Get a B&C Medalist Alaskan Ti. Then glass bed it if you want. Don't expect any reduction in recoil. They do come with a high quality pad. mtmuley

Most of the good after-market stocks are expensive and you get little gain for your money on weight and reduced recoil. It you want to spend the money, that is fine, but in the big picture, your gain over a well-bedded factory stock is minimal in both weight and recoil. If you have a wimpy stock, look for ways to beef it up a bit and put a good pad on it, if recoil is an issue. Also, look for a used stock that will fit your action-although, they may well still be expensive. I bought a used B&C stock for my 7 mag that was actually a pound HEAVIER, but is a great stock and really stabilizes the shooting system and I got it for half price.

Your money and your choice, but this is my angle on it, since weight and recoil are not a game changer for me. Recoil is generally only felt on the bench, anyway, and a pad or good rest can help that.

Sb, you may be right about minimal weight and recoil advantages, but a good aftermarket stock is a better platform for accuracy. mtmuley

Check out greybull precision. I restocked my 700 pss 300 win mag a few years ago with their stock. My very first thought after shooting with that stock the first time was, "wow, my rifle feels like it recoils a lot less." I think they are around $350.

Sb, you may be right about minimal weight and recoil advantages, but a good aftermarket stock is a better platform for accuracy. mtmuley

That may be relevant depending upon what your requirements for accuracy are. My 7 mag was a 1/2-3/4 moa rifle with the wimpy stock and is the same with the heavier B&C. It just, plain, feels more stable, though when laying across a backpack. My other 7 mag and my .308s all wear factory stocks and all shoot that good. With that kind of accuracy, I, personally, have a hard time spending 400 dollars plus on a stock, just to say that I did and maybe save a few ounces in weight.

There again, it just depends on what you want to spend your money on.

Sbhooper what you said about your factory rifles shooting so well is what's kept me from spending the money. I don't like the feel of a few of my Tupperware stocks but I also have the mentality of it ain't broke don't fix it. I guess I'm just trying to find a reason to buy one. Thanks for everyone's input

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back