Navajo nation hunt

I'm hunting on the Navajo rez for the first time. Where I'll be hunting the elevation is anywhere from 6,500 to 8,000 ft, and pinion and juniper trees and some ponderosa pines. I got a any sex tag. I want to see if I can get some advice from you great hunters out there.
Thanks
NavajoHunterNM

Welcome!
Never been on the Rez much.
Seeing a lot of critters fattening up on the great pinion crop tho....

The Navajo reservation is bigger than most states. Seen a lot of big deer driving thru.

Good luck. Would love to see some pictures!

Welcome and good luck. That is great country, but out of my price range. I have seen a few hunts on TV, though, that looked to be great adventures.

Study the land and look for areas where the elk are not hassled. There should not be much pressure, I would think.

As they would say on the Dina "Navajo" Reservation, "Ya'at eeh". You will love your time on the Reservation. Some of the most diverse and beautiful country in the U.S. I was fortunate enough to spend a summer living with a family near Ship Rock, and loved every minute of it. Elk were present in most of the higher elevations during the summer, and will migrate down into the pinon pines and lower elevations as the weather requires. I only saw a few bulls in the higher elevations but a couple of them were nice 6x6 bulls in the 320-330 class. Have a great hunt and don't forget to get some Navajo Fry Bread. Best Fry Bread in the country.

As they would say on the Dina "Navajo" Reservation, "Ya'at eeh". You will love your time on the Reservation. Some of the most diverse and beautiful country in the U.S. I was fortunate enough to spend a summer living with a family near Ship Rock, and loved every minute of it. Elk were present in most of the higher elevations during the summer, and will migrate down into the pinon pines and lower elevations as the weather requires. I only saw a few bulls in the higher elevations but a couple of them were nice 6x6 bulls in the 320-330 class. Have a great hunt and don't forget to get some Navajo Fry Bread. Best Fry Bread in the country.

Ha small world. I did my residency in Shiprock at Northern Navajo Med. Center. Lived in Cortez Co and drove down to the hospital 4 days per week. Very cool place and cool people. I still have many friends there. Every day I think of selling my practice and moving back to the southwest! :)

Thanks Ya'll for your info.
I would love to kill a big bull but I'm a meat hunter so I'll probably kill the first elk I see. I'll defiantly post some pictures.

Last edited:
Sawtooth sorry to correct you its spelled Diné (Navajo). Also you haven't had real fry bread till you try my wife's fry bread, some of the best in the world, if you ask me. Thanks again for your info.

Sawtooth sorry to correct you its spelled Diné (Navajo). Also you haven't had real fry bread till you try my wife's fry bread, some of the best in the world, if you ask me. Thanks again for your info.

Correction noted. I was thinking "e" but my fingers typed "a". As far as the fry bread is concerned, if I was a couple states closer I would be over in a second. I tried to reproduce the fry bread we had on the reservation, but it was missing two key ingredients, Blue Bird flour and more importantly that "Navajo Touch".:)

Good luck on your hunt. By the way, it was the Isletas (Tiwas) just south of Albuquerque that taught the Navajos how to make frybread.

Best of luck! I hunting the res is always on my list, gotta happen soon. My wife family lives on Black Mesa near Kayenta, and we spend quite a bit of time down there. Awesome country and wonderful friendly people.

Looking forward to your post hunt report!

I've hunted deer near Tsaille lake but have not seen any elk on the defiance plateau, but!!!! Lots of bears. G J

Jeff its Jackson I'm gona get me one of those Bulls, just like Treavore did. Well that's the plan, see how it goes. Nice to hear from you.
Best of luck! I hunting the res is always on my list, gotta happen soon. My wife family lives on Black Mesa near Kayenta, and we spend quite a bit of time down there. Awesome country and wonderful friendly people.

Looking forward to your post hunt report!

Well I didn't get a Elk on the Navajo Nation. It was a hard, frustrating but good experience hunt. I learned a lot about that unit, then started asking myself what could have I done better, I should of done my scouting. I went into this hunt not knowing the land the roads or waterholes, but come next year if I can get drawn again I will be better prepared for hunting.

So I also had a cow tag for NM unit 51 the next weekend and got a cow elk down there, thanks to the help of my brother inlaw and wife. I went down there with some fresh learned knowledge and got one.20161113_171752.jpg20161113_171909.jpg

Last edited:
Congratulations on your success. She will provide you and your family with some great eating in the following year. Good luck on next years draw for the Res.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back