Yeti GOBOX Collection

Rubs and sheds?

Paul in Idaho

In the past couple of elk seasons, I have discovered two places with large numbers of rubbed trees. I have also found shed antlers. Both are at just over 8000 feet elevation.

It seems the bulls must be there in early fall and spring. Do you think it is likely it could be their year-round home, or is it more likely they pass through during spring and early fall?

Last edited:
Obviously they stay in those areas for a certain amount of time, probably not their year round home, there are 2 times of the year that elk rub trees, the first is when they are shedding their velvet and the second is when they are beginning to shed their antlers

Keep in mind that where they are at during the rut and during shed season are both very dependent on weather so it can vary greatly from one year to the next.
I do know of a few places in Idaho bulls live in year round only leaving during the worst winters but then in the same unit I know of herds that move long distances between their summer and winter range.

Thanks guys. I hadn't heard of them rubbing in the spring to shed.

Here's one of the rubbed trees, with previous years' victims in the background. The bull did a thorough job on this one. :D

IMG_5552.jpg

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back