Big Buddy Heater

C17loadclear

Hey Guys,

I just picked up a big buddy heater and was wondering how many of you use the extension with the 20lb bottle? Also, do you keep the bottle outside of the tent? I do not plan on running it all night but to just take the chill out first thing in the morning.

I have heard that they can be hard to light if it is real cold....Any experiences with that?

Thanks!!

Todd

I use the big buddy in my 4x8 deer stand and on low on one small tank I can use it for hours on one tank. It heats it from 40 to 70 pretty easy. Coldest I have ever used it was only 30 or so. Thought about the extension but only go through a few tanks a year. I heard there were some plugging issues with using the big tanks. They sell a filter to be put in line.

Use my big buddy ice fishing in -25 up here in Sask, never had a problem with it lighting, we usually leave the tank outside just for space and don't have any issues. If it starts to freeze up we bring it in for a bit and then back out it goes. But yes, make sure you get a filter for the line.

We have had problems in high elevations with one lighting just make sure you bleed some pressure off your tank and it should be fine.

The only problem I have is the filter blocking up, you will want to screw on an extra filter to the heater. Other than that I haven't had problems.

Goat

I bought one last year for my cabin. I use the big tank. No problems yet but the lowest temp I had to start it in was high 30s. We consider that cold in South West Florida.

In the past we used the it with a 20 bottle outside always with filter attached. One thing we did find was that on the new OPD valves the bottles have, generally never need to open the bottle more than a quarter turn. I learned this when my FIL had bought a new tank for his cabin and was having issues with his stove burners with it cranked all the way open. Sounds weird, but not having the bottle all the way was the fix.

Hey Guys,

I just picked up a big buddy heater and was wondering how many of you use the extension with the 20lb bottle? Also, do you keep the bottle outside of the tent? I do not plan on running it all night but to just take the chill out first thing in the morning.

I have heard that they can be hard to light if it is real cold....Any experiences with that?

Thanks!!

Todd

I had issues with it ice fishing last year at -19 degrees at 6,500 ft.

More and more I am thinking about getting a wood stove for the ice fishing tent and putting in a stove jack.

ive used my big buddy all the time in my toyhauler,,,from 11000 ft in colo to the beach,,,and ive had mine down to -5 f in unit 61 in November by Yellowstone,,i always use a 20 lb bottle'inside' always works great,,,also low oxygen sensor will shut it off if windows are not cracked enough,,like it should,,,,mine has been wonderful,,i rarely use the heater the trailer comes with as I hate the fan blower noise.will get close to a week on a 20lb bottle depending on use.

An alternative to the filter setup for the 20 pound bottle is to run the quick-connect hose with built in regulator. No filter needed. I don't run it all night long, only when awake and occupied. There is always a CO detector present. It heats a 10x14 springbar tent very effectively.

The pilot light assy went bad on mine after a few years. The part was cheap enough, but you need to disassemble the entire heater to change it out.

I've had mine for about 10 years with no problems at all. Coldest I've used mine was mid teens. It can be a little harder to start above 10,000 ft but always has.

We've used one every year in the tent. We only use it in the mornings and have never had a problem with it lighting but the lowest temps were in the low 20s. The bulk tank is nice when we use it. The only problem we had with leaving it on all night was a ridiculous amount of condensation in the top of the tent. That's why we don't do it anymore. We use it in a Bighorn II tent from Cabelas.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back