PEAX Equipment

Thioughts on finding cow elk.

Goatshoes

Its too late for me to change the immediate outcome but not to late to learn a lesson.

We were hunting the Utah Monroe unit for cow elk Oct 11-15. Found plenty of spikes and bulls but very few cow elk. I figured like doe deer that we would see multiple cows for every bull glassed up. Not at all. Any thoughts why we failed so epicly?

Last edited:
Interesting. The last time that we hunted the Mescalero reservation for cows, we almost had the same thing happen. I finally found them in nasty country, when I heard a bull bugle.

That time of year should still have had a few cows with the bulls, it seems like to me. Elk are still elk and anything goes, for sure.

Old story and probably told it before.

My brother bought a Vermejo nondrawn cow elk tab. I think he was 7th in line.

Invited me and we went hunting. Bull, Bull, Bull, they were screaming.

It was fun. Finally about noon a couple of cows and he put one down. The area we were in was hunt going uphill. So, the pack was downhill.

Easy fun hunt.

We only saw 4 cows two were on a 40 acre section of private and the other two were spotted 10 minutes after shooting hours ended. We saw at least 25 bulls over the 4 days.

Hello Goatshoes,
I was lucky a-hole who drew the only nonresident Monroe Muzzy Bull Tag. Any tips on where to concentrate my efforts? Places to avoid?

Thanks

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Giddyup64
Back