Big Fin's Favorite Breakfast - antelope heart

Big Fin

Administrator
Staff member
Pretty easy recipe. Sliced antelope heart (fresh not frozen), hot oil (I prefer olive oil), and some Dog Day spice rub. Turn up the heat and enjoy. More flavor than the palate can absorb.

[video=youtube_share;tBQWeue8TFw]https://youtu.be/tBQWeue8TFw[/video]

Everything tastes better fresh and in hunting camp.

This, after just watching Meat Eater talking about eating hearts, has me interested, and also wondering just how many hearts I've wasted over the years!

Last edited:
Looks really good, especially since I'm hungry. Do you have to core out major arteries within the heart or do you just slice and cook? Looks really good.

Looks really good, especially since I'm hungry. Do you have to core out major arteries within the heart or do you just slice and cook? Looks really good.

I slice and cook. Might have a few bits of blood to remove from the veins, but nothing to worry about. If only they were as big as elk hearts.

Never pan fried my deer hearts, mainly simmered in beef broth with garlic, onion and peppercorns then sliced for sandwiches. I may have to try your method on my next whitetail! Never heard of those spices but I'm sure what I have would work just fine.

Just wondering.. Anybody soak their liver/hearts in salt water to draw the blood out? Something we have always done, but then again old school.

Looked pretty good! I've never eaten the heart, but thinking I'm going to give it a try this year when I bag my deer in a couple of weeks.

I ate way too many cattle organs as a missionary in Paraguay. Gives me the willies now. Fin can have my portion. My dad always hauled out the heart and liver for dinner.

Ate deer heart for the first time tonight. Pretty good. Next time I'll try Fin's method.

20161024_162858.jpg

20161024_164316.jpg

20161024_165456.jpg

20161024_183755.jpg

20161024_185837.jpg

I've done hearts both fast and long cook method. The fast method I use olive oil or butter, quick saute, medium rare to medium, coarse salt & grind of pepper, squeeze of lemon juice and it disappears. Same recipe on venison liver (doe or youngster, never a rutting buck), but can add some flour for dusting first, is life altering - tastiest most mild liver, cook no more than 2 minutes per side, and cut slices not more than 1/2 inch thick. Long method is slow in the oven - 2 hours at around 300. Comes out super tender but different texture than the quick method. Both are excellent I think. Since it takes so long I usually make potatoes in the oven, baked or au gratin. Bottle of wine doesn't hurt either!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back