6.5 Creedmoor for elk

300Winmag

Hey guys, I've been trying to decide whether to buy the 6.5 Creedmoor or 308 win for a lightweight elk gun. Is the 6.5 Creedmoor enough gun or would I be better off with the 308. I know all about bullet selection for both calibers, i'm looking for real life experiences with both calibers for elk.

I dont have one but my brother does, he has killed 3 with it. it performed great on all. Put it where it needs to go and it will get the job done.

I favor my .260 Remington for elk and it has performed flawlessy so far on a couple animals. A creedmore has a little more punch than a .260 so I am sure you will be fine.

I would take the 6.5, personally. I have no experience other than LOTS of success stories that I have read. The .308 is great, but the 6.5 will actually best it at long range, as far as ballistics. I have a .260 in the works now and I love my .308s, but I think that I will always prefer the 6.5s from here on. Use a good bullet of 130-140 grains and it will do whatever you want.

Creedmoor is basically the swede. Theh have been killing moose with it for over 100 years.

Here's the boring response...whichever you're more confident in! Both will work well. A bigger bullet doesn't make up for poor shot placement so I would say whichever you are more precise with. Both good!

I used my 6.5 creed this year,,dropped a antelope like a sack of rocks,,though some may think its small for elk,,if placed well I would think it would work for elk no prob,,,I used the 143 gr eld -x bullets,,,worked very well on the antelope.

I used my 6.5 creed this year,,dropped a antelope like a sack of rocks,,though some may think its small for elk,,if placed well I would think it would work for elk no prob,,,I used the 143 gr eld -x bullets,,,worked very well on the antelope.

A friend of mine killed a cow elk with that bullet from a Swede AI a month or so ago-predictable outcome.

I'd be looking at the 139 scenar, 130 berger, and 143 eldx. My brother in law and I have killed a small mountain of animals with the 139, a few elk included.

doesn't sound like you will go wrong either way. I just got a .308 this year and it worked very well on my bull and it is feather light. 178 gr ELD-X Hornady ammo.

Last edited:
I haven't shot an elk with the creedmoor yet, but I have taken a couple with a 260 and a 256 Newton. I used a 140gr partition in both rifles and it worked just like you'd expect a partition to work.

Did you catch that bullet? The ELd-X seems to be doing pretty well this season.

I wish I had. It did cause some damage. Hit very hard. Bull dropped like a rock. Very impressive for that (relatively) small rifle.

Read a lot of reports about heavy damage with the ELD-X. Glad I stuck with Accubonds. mtmuley

I guess I wasn't using "damage" in a negative connotation. I just meant that the bullet hit hard and did the job...not that it came apart and destroyed a bunch of meat. Sorry if I mislead anyone. It seems to be a great round and I will continue to use it. :)

Back