3rd annual family pronghorn hunt

TRS_Montana

Pretty quick antelope season this year.
I usually don't hunt the opening weekend of antelope season to avoid the inevitable monetary costs incurred from either being shot or needing therapy from almost being shot. This year, however, we ended up making some connections with a rancher near Big Timber, MT who was kind enough to let us on to his 3500 acre ranch to hunt prongs.

The drive out there was a bit discouraging. We only saw about 10 antelope within 5 miles of our hunting spot. One was an absolute giant, though. When we get to the land we can hunt, we decide the best camping place is across the open grassland (that looked the most promising for antelope) and down near the creek. At about 6:40 we crest a hill and surprise a herd of about 40 prongs. Not much time to sit and stare, though, since we're already short on time. Setting up camp in the dark with a 1-yr old is not something that appeals to me. So we say our goodbyes to the herd as it sprints over the nearest ridge and hope they'll be back in the next two days.

We manage to get camp set up in a flurry and settle in for the night.

The alarm goes off at about 5:30 and I somehow manage to get out without waking the youngen.

Assuming the herd we spooked wouldn't be too anxious to get back into that pasture in the morning, I start walking for the far half of the 2-square mile patch that I haven't seen. Here's the sun, just starting to light the sky
IMG_3234.jpg

As the clock ticks a little more, I'm reminded of serenity that can so often accompany a crisp Montana morning.

IMG_3256.JPG

A quick scan in the binos revealed that one lone buck missed the train the previous evening. I manage to crawl to about 200 yards before I feel comfortable with a shot. A quick call to my ol lady and the cavalry arrives. Oliver is pretty unsure at first, but then gets curious. My eyes were wet more than one time on this hunt from the gratitude that I felt from being able to make these memories with my fam. Absolutely priceless.

IMG_3246.JPG
IMG_3254.JPG
IMG_3252.JPG

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back