Montana's land board in jeopardy

RobG

It looks like this land board could turn from 4:1 pro-public land to 5:0 anti-public land. That would be a huge loss for hunters and fishers.

The Montana Land Board is made up of 5 seats
1) Governor
2) Attorney general
3) Superintendent of public instruction
4) State Auditor
5) Secretary of State

The board currently consists of 4 public-land friendly Dems, and our Republican AG, Tim Fox. Three of those dems are leaving; two termed out and former SOPI Juneau is running for Congress. The 4th is Bullock who is in a tight race for Governor.

That means the land board could easily go 100% anti-public lands folks this election.

All the candidates for seats 3-5 (Rosendale, Arntzen, and Stapelton) ran for U.S. house and gave their opinion two years ago on public lands. None of them were good. Zinke was pro public lands and won the Congressional seat. After the rest got beat they probably decided to take over the Land Board because PEOPLE DON'T PAY ATTENTION to those elections.

Quotes from Gazette, 2014. http://billingsgazette.com/news/opi...cle_1eb0f1a2-0fdc-5476-9969-afdadbcde052.html

Elsie Arntzen: Republican Candidate for Superintendent of Public Instruction (Melissa Romano is challenger)
I know that our state and its citizens can do a much better job managing our lands than East Coast bureaucrats who don’t understand our way of life in Montana.

Matt Rosendale, Republican candidate for Auditor (Jesse Laslovich is challenger)
I have long been on the record as an advocate for the transfer of federal public lands to the state. If anyone were to examine a map of federal public lands, they would see that all of the states east of Montana have already had the majority of those lands transferred to the respective state’s control. I refuse to accept the notion that North Dakota, Minnesota and Wisconsin (and the like) have the ability to manage their lands, but Montana does not.

The federal government is denying access for recreational purposes, has eliminated thousands of private-sector jobs, and has contributed to the elimination of vital wildlife habitat, all while standing by as our air and water qualities are damaged by severe fires.

The public lands were never intended to remain in control of the feds. Our public lands should be managed by Montanans, not federal bureaucrats 2,500 miles away.

Corey Stapleton, Republican candidate for Secretary of State (Monica Lindeen is challenger).
Just over 200 years ago Montana was owned by France. The Louisiana Purchase changed that when the United States bought the land we now call home. I don't support large-scale privatization of federal lands. I do support the idea of looking at which federal lands could be better served being transferred to state lands.

The two remaining seats are the attorney general (Republican Tim Fox is the incumbent) and governor, which could go to Giantforte.

The land board could go from 80% pro-public lands to 100% anti-public lands. Rosendale and Stapleton are clearly not qualified for the main office and are going after the land board. I'm guessing the same for Arntzen. Don't let these people control the land board. Vote Romano, Laslovich, and Lindeen. More importantly, tell your friends that these are Ds you can be proud to vote for! They are well qualified for the main office and are pro-public lands.

Last edited:
I'll bump this back up.

The Rs for the Secretary of State, Auditor, and Superintendent of Public Instruction have very questionable qualifications for the main office, but a clear desire to control the land board.

land_board.jpg

Some key points regarding the unfitness of these people for the main office, even neglecting their Land board agenda.

Auditor: Does not audit government spending! It is a government agency that regulates the private insurance and securities industries. It fights consumer fraud and makes sure we get the best out of the ACA for our health insurance. Rosendale is the worst possible choice: He hates government regulation of private industry so we'll get thrown under the bus. Furthermore, has made it his mission to prove the ACA is a mess. There is no way we can count on him to work in our best interest when he has such a conflict of interest. And then there is his mission for the land board... jeese louis, vote Laslovich, he already works in the auditor's office and knows it inside out. He's very interested in keeping public land public. http://billingsgazette.com/news/opi...cle_97b2e676-785c-5c05-9eef-c6f3f4494013.html

Secretary of State: Corey Stapleton was the campaign treasurer for Rep. Dan Kennedy that forgot to keep certain records in a campaign that started the whole dark money scandal. I'm not sure he's the guy you want in there.

Superintendent of Public Instruction: Arntzen is not the right person. I'll defer to the Gazette's endorsement of her opponent, Romano.
In a meeting with members of The Gazette editorial board, Arntzen didn’t answer our school funding questions, or most other questions, except to say Montanans “need to have a conversation.” The only thing she said she would bring up to the Legislature is reconfiguring the OPI website, which she said is hard to navigate. Arntzen said middle schools need improvement, but she wouldn’t say what she would change or whether additional funding would be needed.

If you are one of those independent voters who hasn't voted for a D for a long time, Laslovich, Lindeen, and Romano are three Ds that you can brag about voting for. These seats shouldn't be partisan and if you look into the qualifications the Ds win hands down.

Last edited:
RobG.

Love your advocacy. Do not know your local politics. Admire anyone who researches their heart. Not my election, and if I were there. I might disagree. But you are the MAN. Follow your heart.

It looks like this land board could turn from 4:1 pro-public land to 5:0 anti-public land. That would be a huge loss for hunters and fishers.

The Montana Land Board is made up of 5 seats
1) Governor
2) Attorney general
3) Superintendent of public instruction
4) State Auditor
5) Secretary of State

The board currently consists of 4 public-land friendly Dems, and our Republican AG, Tim Fox. Three of those dems are leaving; two termed out and former SOPI Juneau is running for Congress. The 4th is Bullock who is in a tight race for Governor.

That means the land board could easily go 100% anti-public lands folks this election.

All the candidates for seats 3-5 (Rosendale, Arntzen, and Stapelton) ran for U.S. house and gave their opinion two years ago on public lands. None of them were good. Zinke was pro public lands and won the Congressional seat. After the rest got beat they probably decided to take over the Land Board because PEOPLE DON'T PAY ATTENTION to those elections.

Quotes from Gazette, 2014. http://billingsgazette.com/news/opi...cle_1eb0f1a2-0fdc-5476-9969-afdadbcde052.html

Elsie Arntzen: Republican Candidate for Superintendent of Public Instruction (Melissa Romano is challenger)

Matt Rosendale, Republican candidate for Auditor (Jesse Laslovich is challenger)

Corey Stapleton, Republican candidate for Secretary of State (Monica Lindeen is challenger).

The two remaining seats are the attorney general (Republican Tim Fox is the incumbent) and governor, which could go to Giantforte.

The land board could go from 80% pro-public lands to 100% anti-public lands. Rosendale and Stapleton are clearly not qualified for the main office and are going after the land board. I'm guessing the same for Arntzen. Don't let these people control the land board. Vote Romano, Laslovich, and Lindeen. More importantly, tell your friends that these are Ds you can be proud to vote for! They are well qualified for the main office and are pro-public lands.

Rob- Couldn't agree with you more, hope like hell the D's control the Land Board but with in this screwed up Red leaning State where I was born and raised, I'm anything but certain, actually I'm scared to death. I won't comment again cause I never know when to shut up when it comes to discussing politics.

How is that you say Fox is not for Public Land?

Fox among attorneys general doubting Utah's land-transfer suit
TOM KUGLIN Independent Record Oct 10, 2016

"Montana Attorney General Tim Fox is among the Western attorneys general casting doubt on Utah's legal arguments in its push to force the transfer of millions of acres of federal land.

The Associated Press recently reported that the Conference of Western Attorneys General, made up of the top law officers in 15 western states and three U.S. territories, voted 11-1 to approve a report on the matter at their annual meeting in Idaho last summer. The report analyzes federal court decisions and asserts that if Utah follows through with a proposed land-seizure lawsuit, it will be on shaky legal grounds."

http://helenair.com/news/natural-re...cle_a01c7b1a-7b39-5c0d-ab3e-d5a658e2e3e6.html

How is that you say Fox is not for Public Land?

Thanks for the info. If I read it right that opinion was just about the basis of the suit, not his opinion on the transfer itself. As I mentioned elsewhere, the transfer isn't the immediate threat IMO. We will feel the impact when the state tries to acquire WMAs and fishing accesses and land swaps to improve access, and some state lands could be sold.

Fox will probably win, but he is not an advocate for the public. PLWA was hoping he would intervene in an access case like Bullock did. I think this article explains a bit about him sitting on the sidelines, but there may be better ones.

I am mostly concerned about the Auditor, SOS, and SoPI offices flipping because the candidates aren't good for the main office and seem more interested in the land board. If those go the board will be way out of balance. Rosendale is by far the worst - the Chamber of Congress and Montana Bankers recommended Rs for every office EXCEPT Rosendale, yet he was up 10 points.

The Gazette surprised me by endorsing Stapleton over the more experienced Lindeen and Stapleton's link to dark money. I'm not sure how the other papers will go.

elections have consequences, who would have thunk.

I hope my prediction about Laslovich winning that race is accurate. 4-1 democrat on the land board is balanced in your all's opinion but 5-0 Republican is unbalanced. Seems like an odd standard you all apply to things.

Nemont

elections have consequences, who would have thunk.

I hope my prediction about Laslovich winning that race is accurate. 4-1 democrat on the land board is balanced in your all's opinion but 5-0 Republican is unbalanced. Seems like an odd standard you all apply to things.
I never said 4:1 D:R is balanced. However, had I said it, I wouldn't apologize for advocating the best picks for sportsmen on this board for what you call an odd standard. What do you expect? But more importantly, Rosendale is not only bad for sportsmen, he's just bad for that office. Arntzen doesn't seem like a good choice either compared to Romano. Stapleton has more support, but Lindeen has more experience and wasn't working for the dark money crowd.

I don't remember asking you to apologize for anything. Sometimes you play the hand you are dealt . The election is just a couple of weeks away, who many undecided voters are out there? If you are single issue voter then your life is easy and predictable. Some of us issues with candidates on the left as well. I know I do. I agree with you on Rosendale, he is a turd on all accounts IMO. I am in favor of a party change for the office holder of the Superintendent of School as that office has been held by a Democrat for 30 years +.

I guess we shall see.

Nemont

I am in favor of a party change for the office holder of the Superintendent of School as that office has been held by a Democrat for 30 years +.

Historical D occupation is hardly an excuse to put a bad person in there. She doesn't even seem to have thought about what she will do. I'll requote from the Gazette endorsement of Romano.
In a meeting with members of The Gazette editorial board, Arntzen didn’t answer our school funding questions, or most other questions, except to say Montanans “need to have a conversation.” The only thing she said she would bring up to the Legislature is reconfiguring the OPI website, which she said is hard to navigate. Arntzen said middle schools need improvement, but she wouldn’t say what she would change or whether additional funding would be needed.

I guess if we are required to vote based on who the liberal Billings Gazette editorial board endorses then it is a forgone conclusion. Historical D or R occupation of any office is a bad thing for any department, office or post.

Nemont

Historical D or R occupation of any office is a bad thing for any department, office or post.
Although generally that is true, I don't necessarily see that as a firm basis for decision on vote. If the occupation of the office is by someone who is more interested in Montana, rather than D or R party approval of performance, then I want that occupation to continue. On the other hand, if the public servant is primarily interested in practicing and promulgating the ideology of the party ... then I want the change.

In this instance, you cannot deny the progress made by Juneau regarding Montana public education. It's fairly easy to see the followup by Romano in continuing the progress. Her opponent has neither expressed nor shown the propensity for that kind of improvement.

I guess if we are required to vote based on who the liberal Billings Gazette editorial board endorses then it is a forgone conclusion. Historical D or R occupation of any office is a bad thing for any department, office or post.

Nemont

Republicans earned half of the Gazette endorsements for partisan statewide races. That's not exactly liberal. The article gave Arntzen plenty of opportunity to advocate for herself but her big plan seems to be to fix their website. I bet she's thought a lot more about what she is going to do on the land board.

Ummm Straight when did I say anything negative about Juneaus job as Supt. of Public Instruction? My wife is a 2nd grade teacher, I am fairly close to the issues going on in the classroom. Lots of friends and family are classroom teachers.

RobG,

So is this your first election? When a candidate has a lead can you name how many articulate everything they want to do or simply ignore questions and press on. I don't know Romano from Adam. Arntzen had the courtesy of visiting North Eastern Montana and introducing herself more than once, have not seen Romano once. Just like Bullock I doubt Romano give two shits about us out here and is campaigning in the population centers. I haven't voted yet but as of today I am still wondering about a few of these candidates. At least Zinke and Juneau showed up on the reservation here to debate, which is far more than any other state wide Democrat, other than Laslovich (who was here last night), has done to introduce themselves out here.

I am not sold on Arntzen but Romano has done zero to garner any support from me either.

Nemont

Straight when did I say anything negative about Juneaus job as Supt. of Public Instruction?
You did not, however you implied it's time to elect Arntzen (Republican) because the Democrats have been in the OPI office too long and Romano is a D. Just wanted to point out that the D's have done well for Montana in that office.

I do appreciate that you seem to much more highly value the show of support for northeastern Montana and the concerns and needs there, rather than the R or D.

I believe Romano was in Glasgow a week or so ago. Her facebook page has photos of her with local teachers and school administrators.

Well, my main mission was to reach out to the people would simply vote their party because they didn't have time to research the candidates. That's obviously a problem given Rosendale is in the lead. I hope this has helped people understand the candidates and consequences a little better.

Back