Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Map scouting lesson using OnXMaps?

Jerd

Big Fin, I recently purchased OnXMaps for my phone, which I heard about from Fresh Tracks and the podcast. It's an amazing tool but using a map to try to scout is something that is completely foreign to me. I know how to read a map but locating the specific locations on a map that are more likely to hold elk than others is something I know nothing about. I've watched your system series for the stages of the elk season and that has been useful but locating that in person, and locating it on a map can be two different things. Is there any chance though that you could make a youtube video about what specifically you're looking for when you're scouting a new area on OnXMaps? If there is some way you could pick an area, don't even mention the unit, and point out on your computer screen what looks like a place that would hold elk, it would be an invaluable lesson for rookies like me. Just a thought, but I figured if it's something that would help me I'm guessing it could teach others a lot as well.

Me as well. I got a refurb'd Montana 600 and my state OnXmaps chip and have no clue how to get deeper into understanding any of it. The Base Camp tutorials are very basic. I feel like I will be unprepared without fully understanding how to use my GPS and maps.

Hmmm. Interesting request. Maybe I am making some assumptions that all hunters are as map junkies to the same degree that I am.

I'm just back from 24 days on the road. Let me think about how this could be done. It does come from being a map junkie. I suspect even before onXmaps came along and saved me tons of time and money, I had more maps in my possession than most sporting goods stores had in inventory.

Whatever we do to try give some details, there will be no substitute for lots of time pouring over maps to find where elk will go to satisfy the needs they have during the season you are hunting.

Until I decided to learn all I could about elk needs in each of the calendar seasons, being a map junkie did not provide solutions. To me, the most important aspect of desk scouting is knowing what needs elk have in the season you are hunting. Once you know those needs, it is far easier to see where they will find that need by looking at a map.

If you have not done so, make sure you watching these videos about the season periods of elk hunting. The needs change in each of these periods. As the needs change, elk go to different locations to satisfy those changing needs. I know it seems elementary, but most people who struggle to find elk have not done what it takes to understand the elk's needs during the period they are hunting. If a hunter does not understand the elk's needs, he is going to have a hard time knowing where to find an elk.

Here is an overview of the SYSTEM that I use - https://youtu.be/zZjhYLafB48?list=PLLdxutimd-JucEFczP4LgCS75Lt7caIMm

Here are the links to videos for each of the five seasonal periods.

I was talking about this on our last hunt. I spend 90-95% of my time trying to locate elk, either via scouting in the field or at the desk, hiking to areas that I have identified, or glassing areas I suspect hold elk. Only 5-10% of my time is actually spent hunting/stalking elk.

I'm not sure we will have time to do this before I head out for the next long trip. It might be something that gets done when we return after season.

Maybe, you could teach us how you think by doing a map scout of a mythical hunt. Such as, a hunt that might take place inside the confines of Yellowstone or Glacier NP. That way you can give us your secrets without giving away your secret spots. Even the Wilkes new ID ranch, since most of us will never hunt it, now that they have locked it down and it is off limits to the public.

I'll third it but i already know the answer. look for places people don't want to go and that is where the Elk will be. Post rut= food and security.

This. I look for distance between roads and then start tying down specific areas. For me, it has been pretty much on the money over the years. There are always exceptions-especially with elk. When the weather gets bad, you may find them in the middle of a 2-mile flat!

Super idea on using the off limits hunting areas for the tutorials. No ones toes get stepped on when the hot zones are identified.

I think that would be a great idea and possibly something that onxmaps should help fund for the advertisement. I have been hoping to see a youtube video of safely camping and hunting in grizzly bear county. I have read a lot about what should be done, but it would be reassuring and helpful to have a quick video segment on those steps to help out. It seems like there is a lot of great areas to hunt that shy us hunters away because it is known to have grizzlies (Me Included!)

I spend lots of time looking at maps, but I don't really feel like I know what I am looking for.

Great suggestions, guys. Keep them coming. We are going to crank out a big pile of YouTube vids while we have downtime in the coming trips. These ideas are super helpful.

I'll second the idea of doing multiple videos on their needs in a non hunting spot like Yellowstone
It will probably be some 95 the most helpful videos out there

I think a raffle or a prize of sitting down and looking at a unit's map one-on-one with you would be pretty incredible. If I won something like that, I'd drive to meet you in a heartbeat. But since that probably isn't feasible, I suppose a video is a good idea too.

Great suggestions, guys. Keep them coming. We are going to crank out a big pile of YouTube vids while we have downtime in the coming trips. These ideas are super helpful.

I also would like a scouting/map video. I had kind of quit hunting do to a lack of a place to go but watching your work as inspired me to get a GPS as go learn how to hunt public ground.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jahmes143
Back