Lightweight rifle build

Thats why I'm kinda partial to the savage, saves money that would normally go to paying a smith. Right now I have a stock Savage 11 with a Vortex Crossfire II 6-18x44. I'm guessing it weighs in the 7.5# range but it doesnt shoot the heavier bullets very well. I think its reamed for 120s.

You are going to be spending a lot of money, just to shave a pound or two off what you have already. That 6.5 Creedmore, with 120 premiums will do everything that you need, unless you are just looking for an excuse to have a new rifle.

I've been down this road and built a lightweight as well as owned a couple of featherweights (win) and mountain rifles (rem). You need a barrel contour <.600, closer to .575 is good or better yet .550 especially with a .264 or .284. Below is a picture of a Win M70 FW in 30.06. Not much metal between the inside and outside, but it carried and shot well. I wouldn't go any longer than 22" either.

It's hard to build on a tight budget. Don't rush anything, lay out the individual components, action, stock, barrel, scope and mounts. Find several options for each with price and weights and start to piece it together. Certainly a 700 is the most favorable to build on, but you can work with what you have. Just don't try and force a square peg into a round hole.

20140318_182258.jpg

I would keep what you have and shave a pound or two off my waist. But that's just me. :)

LOL yea that's the first thing I need to do anyways. I gained 25# working in the oilfield and it's definitely not all muscle

Hey guys, I'm looking into building a rifle for my Utah general season elk hunt next fall. I'm on a tight budget so I need the best "bang for my buck" so to speak.

Right now I have a Savage 11 in 6.5 CM that would make a good platform but I've also thought about getting a Savage Axis II since its a long action and building off of it. My goal is to have a sub 8# rifle with optics. My preferred cartridges would be in the 6.5 or 7mm calibers but I don't shoot magnums well so those are out. I do reload but component availability with some of the more exotic cartridges would be limited at best. Thanks in advance.

okie,

I've been down this path. I've seen quite a few others do the same, and only have shot out a half dozen or more Savage barrels. I've had guns put together with Savage, Remington, Winchester, Tikka, Ruger, and several custom actions. With that I'd suggest one of two options.

1) If you are truly sentimentally attached to the gun and can not shake it, get a McMillan EDGE stock, a SWFA SS 6x42mm scope with Milquad reticle, good bases and rings, buy some factory Hornady 140gr match AMAX or 143gr Precision Hunter ammo and see what it does. Only then would I replace the barrel, and I'd go no longer than 22 inches.

It'll probably shoot fine, and it'll work to well past 600 yards, but having been there you'll probably be disappointed. I was told before I built a gun on a Savage that is not be happy with it in the end, and they were correct. I know a bunch of dudes that have built guns using Savages and none were satisfied. That's not to say Savages aren't workable rifles, just that they're not ideal for building on.

2) Sell (or keep) the Savage, buy a Tikka T3 stainless in 7-08 ($550), buy the aforementioned SWFA SS 6x42mm MQ scope ($299), a Mountain Tactical Pic rail ($60), Burris XTR rings ($40) and have a rifle setup that will crush from the muzzle to as far as your skill allows. If you wanted you could add a McMillan Edge or Manners SL stock later and it will be lighter, smoother, as accurate as anything out there, have a better trigger, etc.

You could do the same with a Howa Alpine or Montana.

okie,

I've been down this path. I've seen quite a few others do the same, and only have shot out a half dozen or more Savage barrels. I've had guns put together with Savage, Remington, Winchester, Tikka, Ruger, and several custom actions. With that I'd suggest one of two options.

1) If you are truly sentimentally attached to the gun and can not shake it, get a McMillan EDGE stock, a SWFA SS 6x42mm scope with Milquad reticle, good bases and rings, buy some factory Hornady 140gr match AMAX or 143gr Precision Hunter ammo and see what it does. Only then would I replace the barrel, and I'd go no longer than 22 inches.

It'll probably shoot fine, and it'll work to well past 600 yards, but having been there you'll probably be disappointed. I was told before I built a gun on a Savage that is not be happy with it in the end, and they were correct. I know a bunch of dudes that have built guns using Savages and none were satisfied. That's not to say Savages aren't workable rifles, just that they're not ideal for building on.

2) Sell (or keep) the Savage, buy a Tikka T3 stainless in 7-08 ($550), buy the aforementioned SWFA SS 6x42mm MQ scope ($299), a Mountain Tactical Pic rail ($60), Burris XTR rings ($40) and have a rifle setup that will crush from the muzzle to as far as your skill allows. If you wanted you could add a McMillan Edge or Manners SL stock later and it will be lighter, smoother, as accurate as anything out there, have a better trigger, etc.

You could do the same with a Howa Alpine or Montana.

Great info, Form. I second the SS6x. The only question that I have for you, is why not Savage? I have never found one that was not accurate-or fairly light. My buddy loves to work on them, due to ease of barrel replacement. I realize that the stock choice may be a bit limited, though.

hooper,

It's not that the Savage can't be accurate or function correctly. It's that no matter what you do it will still be a Savage- rough action, an ok trigger, decent feeding, etc. Again, I'm sure that there is someone really pleased with their built Savage, but I've don't it, seen others do it, and everyone says that they should have built on a different platform.

hooper,

It's not that the Savage can't be accurate or function correctly. It's that no matter what you do it will still be a Savage- rough action, an ok trigger, decent feeding, etc. Again, I'm sure that there is someone really pleased with their built Savage, but I've don't it, seen others do it, and everyone says that they should have built on a different platform.

I'm curious what your action of choice is to build off of.

It depends on what the gun is. If you get a good one, the Kimber Montana/Adirondack/Ascent is pretty hard to beat. The stock is as good as anything out there and better than all but a NULA, trigger is good, action is sized correctly, etc.

Other than that- Tikkas. Great barrels already, great trigger, and action is solid as is. Add a stock and you're set.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back