Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Lightweight rifle build

okie_hotrod

Hey guys, I'm looking into building a rifle for my Utah general season elk hunt next fall. I'm on a tight budget so I need the best "bang for my buck" so to speak.

Right now I have a Savage 11 in 6.5 CM that would make a good platform but I've also thought about getting a Savage Axis II since its a long action and building off of it. My goal is to have a sub 8# rifle with optics. My preferred cartridges would be in the 6.5 or 7mm calibers but I don't shoot magnums well so those are out. I do reload but component availability with some of the more exotic cartridges would be limited at best. Thanks in advance.

What does your current setup weigh? Might be as simple as swapping stocks and putting on a lighter scope

The advantage to Savage is the barrel nut system. Picka cartridge...I'm partial to 260 or 7mm-08 in short actions. Find a lighter contour barrel like a Sporter barrel from Shilen, Criterion, McGowan, etc. Grab a set of go/no go gauges (you can use a factory loaded round also) and screw on a new barrel. Get a new stock and use a Leupold Ultralight scope in say 3-9.

Thats why I'm kinda partial to the savage, saves money that would normally go to paying a smith. Right now I have a stock Savage 11 with a Vortex Crossfire II 6-18x44. I'm guessing it weighs in the 7.5# range but it doesnt shoot the heavier bullets very well. I think its reamed for 120s.

Last edited:
All Savage's in 6.5 Creedmoor are twisted sufficiently (8" twist) to shoot the 140+gr bullets. First of all, I doubt I'd spend money to build of an Axis action. I'd use that money to make what you have, which IMO is a better action, a better fit for your needs and on reloading components to find a load for the bullets I prefer. Swapping the stock and the scope would be an easy way to lose a pound or more on that rifle.

Before I'd build off the Axis, there are a lot of other factory options out there that could get you under 8#s easy enough, if you feel you just have to have a new rifle. Add most any Leupold scope to a Tikka and you will be under 8#s.

I'm looking into replacing the barrel with a Shilen prefit, probably 24 or 26" sporter weight, but I'm curious if there are any good lightweight stock options.

look at a Savage m16 lightweight hunter in 6.5 CM, they weight about 6 pounds with a scope, then use the money you save on more gear!

All Savage's in 6.5 Creedmoor are twisted sufficiently (8" twist) to shoot the 140+gr bullets. First of all, I doubt I'd spend money to build of an Axis action. I'd use that money to make what you have, which IMO is a better action, a better fit for your needs and on reloading components to find a load for the bullets I prefer. Swapping the stock and the scope would be an easy way to lose a pound or more on that rifle.

Before I'd build off the Axis, there are a lot of other factory options out there that could get you under 8#s easy enough, if you feel you just have to have a new rifle. Add most any Leupold scope to a Tikka and you will be under 8#s.

My Savage 10 FCP-sr is a 1-10 twist (although I haven'y physically measured it). your 1-8 should shoot 140's pretty good. You may need to do some more load workup. X2 on the Tikka. I don't own any, but friends that do love them. I have shot a few in the .308 and 30-06 and was pretty impressed with them. That said I'm not running out to buy one.

Yea, I'm not running out to buy another rifle or I might end up single lol. I've heard a few people saying that their savage CMs were reamed for 120s and that they had to send it back to savage to get reamed out. I had planned on putting a new barrel on it anyways.

I'm looking into replacing the barrel with a Shilen prefit, probably 24 or 26" sporter weight, but I'm curious if there are any good lightweight stock options.

I wouldn't start a LW rifle build with a Savage. Your re-stocking options are much fewer than a Remington 700. I think you can find a McMillian Edge for most of the Savage actions, but you'll be plunking down $600 or so for it.

Other rifles like 700's and 70's have the options of Bansner (unfinished) or Bell & Carlson Alaskan (finished) stocks.

Honestly, the best LW rifle "build" on a budget would be buying a Tikka T3 and throwing a scope on it. If you don't like Tikka's, find a used 700 mountain rifle for $500-$600.

But don't start with a Savage, IMO. You'll dump a bunch of money into a rifle with fewer options and low resale value.

The problem there is that if I purchased a new rifle I would be out that money plus the cost of alterations and possibly the cost of paying for gunsmithing services which I honestly can't justify. The fact that it's a Savage and uses a barrel nut means that I can replace the barrel myself. I'm trying to work with what I have.
I hope you guys know that while I appreciate your help, some of the suggestions aren't exactly helpful. Last I checked, "get a tikka" wasn't building a rifle, it was buying one.

The problem there is that if I purchased a new rifle I would be out that money plus the cost of alterations and possibly the cost of paying for gunsmithing services which I honestly can't justify. The fact that it's a Savage and uses a barrel nut means that I can replace the barrel myself. I'm trying to work with what I have.
I hope you guys know that while I appreciate your help, some of the suggestions aren't exactly helpful. Last I checked, "get a tikka" wasn't building a rifle, it was buying one.

An awful lot of guys on here have built rifles, and are probably just trying to help you avoid pitfalls that they have fallen in themselves. I would agree with a lot of what has been put out so far. You have to decide what your budget and do what you can do. If part of the enjoyment is the build, then by all means get a new tube for your savage and have at it. I built a light rifle a couple of years ago, but realistically I could have achieved the same result for less money if I had just bought the right factory rifle. If I were in your shoes, I would be most concerned with how you are going to find a stock that will keep the rifle light. There just isn't much out there for Savages.

If the goal is the lightest rifle possible for the least money, I don't see any harm in guys offering other options to get there.

You can easily hit your weight goal with the action. Whether or not you want to spend the money on the components to do so is up to you. Starting with a 24+" sporter weight barrel is going to make it harder to be under 8# and not what I would suggest for a shortaction, lightweight build. 8# = 128oz. So lets break this down:

Complete Action (conservative) = 40oz
24" 'Sporter" weight 7mm barrel = 50oz
Scope base/rings = 6oz
Scope = 15oz

Total before stock is 111oz. To hit your goal you'd need a 17oz stock. Ain't going to happen. So, unless I'm way off on the action weight you're going to need to cut some weight to hit your goal and that assumes a 24oz or so stock, which doesn't come cheap.

My original intent with this rifle was building a long range precision rifle, after some thought I realized that I'm not gonna be competing in PRS or anything like that so my money would best be spent making it a dedicated Western rifle for my elk trips. I plan on trying to make it out there to hunt elk, mule deer, and/or antelope every couple of years so it would make since to have a rifle built for the task.

I'm willing to comprise a little bit but if I won't be able to accomplish that goal then it makes no sense to keep the rifle. To be honest, I'm almost to the point of trying to buy my old Ruger Hawkeye all weather back. Its hard to compete with a 26" barreled rifle that weighs 7# from the factory.

Last edited:
It does suck, but light is expensive.

You do have options, you just need to be able to soak them all in. Is building a rifle important to you, or is light weight the priority?

When you are looking at scopes and mounts, check out the Leupold Ultralight 3-9x33 and Talley Lightweight rings. I used this combo on my lightweight build and together they tipped the scales at less than 11oz with the CDS version of the scope. That will certainly buy you some wiggle room else where.

You should consider dropping to a 22' barrel as well. No need for more with a .260, 7mm-08, or the like.

Look to see if you can ditch your bottom metal and have a blind magazine. You can loose some weight there too.

If you are interested you can read through my odyssey in building a light rifle http://onyourownadventures.com/hunttalk/showthread.php?254535-Rifle-Build-Questions

I found a weight for a Savage long action posted as 35oz, so I was a bit conservative... ;)

Action: 33oz
Barrel (22"): 48oz
Talley Rings: 3oz
Leupold Scope: 13oz

New Total = 97oz. That leaves 31oz for a stock which is easily doable. If this is going to be your main rifle, I'd suggest a McMillan Edge technology stock. They weigh about 24oz or so.

So, with careful component selection it is very doable. That said, you'd probably end up with more money in it that some of the other options suggested and you never did give a budget for this project.

I understand fully that you are frustrated with some of the suggestions. I think that buying a tikka or used mountain rifle is mentioned because you will likely have the same or less money in a new rifle than what you were planning. The worst thing about custom guns is resale if/when you want to change. It sounds to me like you need to take a step back and reassess which it sounds like you are already doing. For what its worth, I wouldn't do a rebuild on a savage either because I'm afraid you would have to make so many sacrifices that when you were done you would have money tied up into something you weren't completely happy with. Good luck.

Overall budget I had in mind would be $1000 or less, preferably less. But I have to save room for optics. I could get some money back if I sold or traded the Crossfire for a better optic.

I should probably mention that while this would be my primary rifle for these trips I do have a lightweight 270 that would probably get the job done so I'm not entirely in a rush on this project.

Last edited:
I was in the same boat as you last year after seeing Randy shooting the Howa Alpine mt Rifle. I was basically obsessed with buying the lightest rifle I could afford whether it be custom or a high end factory rifle. I decided on factory because I just didn't see the point in spending so much more for a hunting rifle. Kimber Montana, mountain ascent, Howa Alpine Mt Rifle, Remington Mountain, Sako Finnlight and Savage 16 lightweight hunter were at the top of my list. Sako was the best feeling gun in my hands of all of them without a doubt. I had to have it when I picked it up. In the end I couldn't justify the cost of the Sako because the stock was not a premium stock for the money. the Savage was light and I'm sure as accurate as my other savages but didn't have the allure I wanted. I bought a like new Kimber Montana that was awesome but it was in 300wsm and wanted a .308 so I sold it after finding an amazing deal on New in Box Howa Alpine Mt rifle.

I love the Howa. With the custom LAW stock, the cerakoted barrel and action and optional 5 round drop box magazine and awesome trigger it feels like a custom, one off gun. I cannot recommend it enough. super light and handy, comes in all the right calibers for me, including 6.5 for the really long range shooter. I was lucky and got mine way below retail but I would recommend it to anyone looking for a lightweight gun. super close second would be the kimber Montana.

You said you were on a "tight" budget, I gave you a budget friendly option. I've gone down this road ( I ended up selling it once i realized what I bit into), and sorry but I do not believe you budget build is going to come out any better than something you can buy on the shelf for less. If that's what you want to do though,:) have fun

Last edited:
Back