Hunting Camera

rjlefty3

Just curious as to what everyone uses as a 'hunting' camera. I have a DSLR that I love, and would bring it along on my hunts but I have too much invested in it to risk it getting damaged. And it would take up more space than I can handle.

I have a smaller Canon Powershot I've been using, but I'm not real thrilled with it's pictures. Don't get me wrong, it takes great photos...when there is plenty of light. But it doesn't do very well, even in light I believe should be good enough to get decent photos. I know with full zoom type photos I'll never win without perfect lighting, but just looking for something to get some zoom without it being all grainy from higher ISOs.

I'm not a professional or expert by any means, but I do understand the different factors that influence the photos.

My prelim list includes the Sony Rx100 or Olympus TG-4. My only concern on the Sony is the lack of a decent zoom and being fragile, but I could deal with the latter. Seems like an awesome camera otherwise. The TG-4 looks really solid, but I'm concerned about the pictures and that it wouldn't really even be an upgrade.

Any thoughts, opinions, or experiences with these or other cameras?

I have a Sony RX100 iii, its an awesome camera. I built a homemade digiscoping adapter to fit my Vortex spotting scope and I can get some great footage with it. I haven't used it in low light enough to say how well it performs. My only complaint is that theres no 2 or 3 second setting for the self timer. 10 seconds is the only option so it isn't ideal for using the self timer when digiscoping. Otherwise it is my go to when going light while hunting.

Wow, those are awesome pics, especially through a spotter. Every picture I've seen with the rx100 has been awesome.

How's the zoom on it? I'm not expecting a ton, but I'd like to have a little range on this type of camera, if possible.

dont get any camera that is short of 20 OPTICAL zoom. plus 40x or more digital zoom.

panasonic Lumix ZS 30 has been great for me. have cycled through several of there Lumix cameras over the years. all have been great.

I haven't taken the plunge yet so take this with a grain of salt, but I've been eyeing the Sony A6000 or A6300. It's not a full frame camera (4:3) but it's close, takes really good pictures, and at around 10oz, it isn't crazy heavy. The Sony RX-100 was also on my list, but I liked the option to switch out the lenses, which the a6000 offers.

I hear you that it's scary to bring along an expensive camera, but I'd argue that having that good camera along while hunting is worth the risk. I took pictures of a 2015 caribou hunt with my iPhone because of that reason and shaving weight for the fly-in trip. Long story short, it was a bad idea. Marginal pictures in an exceptional setting. I was disappointed.

Lumix looks like a good cam too, hadn't heard of it. I'll check it out, thanks for the idea!

Timberhawk - didn't realize you could swap lenses out in the A6000 series, although it's pushing the cost of my DSLR. Much lighter weight though. I'll check it out. Thanks for the idea!

Lumix looks like a good cam too, hadn't heard of it. I'll check it out, thanks for the idea!

Until 5 years ago I used Lumix. I was very happy with the photo quality, but did go through a couple of them. Still give it a thumbs up.

Now I just pack a back-up DSLR. I would love to get a good mirrorless, but for that amount of money I feel I should use it for more DSLR glass for my Nikon.

Until 5 years ago I used Lumix. I was very happy with the photo quality, but did go through a couple of them. Still give it a thumbs up.

Now I just pack a back-up DSLR. I would love to get a good mirrorless, but for that amount of money I feel I should use it for more DSLR glass for my Nikon.
My cameras are all small enough to be handy; like in a shirt or pants pocket. How are you carrying the DSLR for impromtu shots?

Not me in the pic. hahaha Cotton Carrier side holster. Adjustable and I can put it on my pack belt.

641649004_06.jpg

Not a lot of zoom on the RX100, but if you pack a spotting scope when you are hunting then you could make some sort of digiscoping adapter like I have.

Another option would be the Sony RX10 iii. It has a 24-600mm zoom lens. I know if I had some extra money laying around I would probably buy one! You said you are concerned about packing around an expensive camera when you are hunting though, so this might not be the best option. Then again the RX100 is expensive too for a point and shoot.

Thanks for the info. I'm concerned about carrying that type of camera, but I'll do it if I have a method of carrying it I'd feel confident in.

My biggest concern with the Rx100 is lack of zoom. And for the price of the Rx100iii, I might as well get a backup DSLR, like miller does.

Same goes for most mirrorless cameras. I don't doubt the good quality, but they're basically the same price. Which leaves me with point and shoot vs DSLR. Room is an issue which makes the P&S a nicer option. Although I am a bit picky when it comes to pictures and options.

I'm basically looking for a camera with good zoom, good quality (even in low light), portable and a decent price. If not possible, I'll have to figure out a way to bring the DSLR. Although I'm afraid I wouldn't use it as much since its not quite as handy. That hipbelt holster is pretty cool, I've never seen anything like that.

For those that carry a DSLR, how do you pack it with you if you're backpack hunting?

For those that carry a DSLR, how do you pack it with you if you're backpack hunting?

For me, when backpack "hunting" I usually just put the camera in the top of my pack inside a puffy. Most of the time I am only taking pics while glassing, so not a big deal to sit, put on the puffy, glass and shoot a few pics. When backpacking for rec I use the holster so I can shoot while on the move. I don't digiscope, so can't speak for that. Doubt my method is the best, but what I have done to this point.

For me, when backpack "hunting" I usually just put the camera in the top of my pack inside a puffy. Most of the time I am only taking pics while glassing, so not a big deal to sit, put on the puffy, glass and shoot a few pics. When backpacking for rec I use the holster so I can shoot while on the move. I don't digiscope, so can't speak for that. Doubt my method is the best, but what I have done to this point.

I've seen enough of your pics to know you're doing something right! Seems like a good system, better than anything I've come up with.

I have a Sony RX100 iii, its an awesome camera. I built a homemade digiscoping adapter to fit my Vortex spotting scope and I can get some great footage with it. I haven't used it in low light enough to say how well it performs. My only complaint is that theres no 2 or 3 second setting for the self timer. 10 seconds is the only option so it isn't ideal for using the self timer when digiscoping. Otherwise it is my go to when going light while hunting.

Does this camera take pictures that are quality enough for magazine articles?? I am trying to get a camera that has the capability of taking these kinds of photos. There is also a Nikon D3000 for sale here locally, looks like a nice camera but it's bigger. What do you guys think?

Thanks

Does this camera take pictures that are quality enough for magazine articles?? I am trying to get a camera that has the capability of taking these kinds of photos. There is also a Nikon D3000 for sale here locally, looks like a nice camera but it's bigger. What do you guys think?

Thanks

Personally, I'd look for a D5300 or better is you're going to go the Nikon route. I've got the D5200 and it's a nice body, fully serviceable and I like it because it's lighter than the pro-class. Just as, if not more important, is the glass you use. The kit lenses from Nikon are ok, but not stellar. If you're interested in getting in to magazines, etc, I'd say invest in glass. After 3 years of moderate use, my kit lenses are showing their age. The camera body is still strong but the lenses are not as crisp as I'd like.

MT Muley - yes, it does take magazine worthy photos. Many pro's carry the RX100 as a backup.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back