Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Whats Your Back country Fly Rig

BKHunter

Just curious what rigs everyone uses when the pack into the back country streams and lakes. Looking for a good recommendation for a starter set up that I can stuff into my pack. Or does everyone recommend going with a standard two piece rod?

I use a 9' 4 piece 5wt St. Croix Triumph for pack fishing. I believe the Triumph line has been discontinued, but the Rio Santo would be a similar St Croix rod in the $130 range.

I use a 9' 4 piece 5wt St. Croix Triumph for pack fishing. I believe the Triumph line has been discontinued, but the Rio Santo would be a similar St Croix rod in the $130 range.

That's the 30-06 of the fly fishing world. A good 4 piece 5 wt gets you everything you could ask for in the back country, and 80% of the front country as it relates to trout.

St Croix makes good rods.

I had a ton of fun this summer with a Temple Forks Outfitter tenkara rod, the 8 1/2 foot Cuttthroat. The entire kit (rod, line and flies) weighs 4 ounces and telescopes down to 12 inches. I found it plenty good for trout up to 16 inches. It's like a Ronco Pocket Fisherman designed by a samurai.

The St. Croix setup would work fine. Most anything 4-6 wt will work but if you can only scrape up a two piece here's what is going to happen. You'll strap the rod tube to your pack and forget the tip is sticking a foot above your pack. Then, when you are jumping rock-to-rock trying to cross a creek, on the very last jump when you are aiming for the bank the tube will bump into an overhanging branch and knock you off balance and you'll fall into the stream much to the enjoyment of your partners. Seen it more than once. :D

I use a Sage 3 piece 9' 3 piece 4wt, but that is just because I use that for about everything.

If we are just talking rods, I think a 3wt is perfect for backcountry stuff. Most of it is small (some lakes are not) and the fish are small too. I have a 2WT Cabelas CLR that goes on sale for $60 a few times a year.

If you are talking other gear, and depending on how far you are going (day trip vs multi) I take a fishpond Double Haul. Plenty of room to carry waders, boots, 2 rods rain gear and lunch. I use it all the time.

I've been using a St Croix 4-piece 5wt for as long as I can remember. works great in mountain streams/lakes and easy to pack.

I agree with the st croix rio santo. Thats a good rod for the money. I do have to say if you are not a great caster, the avid may be better with it medium action. I prefer it on small streams.

I had a ton of fun this summer with a Temple Forks Outfitter tenkara rod, the 8 1/2 foot Cuttthroat. The entire kit (rod, line and flies) weighs 4 ounces and telescopes down to 12 inches. I found it plenty good for trout up to 16 inches. It's like a Ronco Pocket Fisherman designed by a samurai.

Best description of a Tenkara rod I have ever read.

Sage SP 3 piece 8'6" 3 wt. is my first choice for most backcountry lakes and streams. If going to a lake that consistently produces fish over 18" I take my 4 piece Batson 9' 4 wt.

8'6" TFO Professional 5wt in a 4 piece with a Lamson Konic reel. I use this for everything... rivers large and small, streams, and mountain lakes. Perfect size broke down and lightweight... I keep an extra rod identical to above mentioned in my truck in case of any kind of breakage. TFO has good replacement warranty if rod breaks....

Cabelas Stowaway 5 piece, 8.5', 5 weight rod with Cabelas Pestige Plus II reel. I really like this set up. I've used it every where from back country lakes and streams to floating on rivers.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 202
I would get a 9' 4 or 5wt rod that breaks down into 4 pieces. You could go 8'6" if you want, but no shorter.

Lots of guys will tell you to get a 2 or 3 weight or a shorter rod. For all-around use, they are wrong. For example, at backcountry lakes you will often be fishing from shore and need to cast some distance. Also, the wind almost always blows on alpine lakes in July and August. For rivers/streams, shorter rods don't really give you an "advantage" of any kind. Mending and roll casting is easier with a 9' rod.

Believe me, I've owned about all configurations. I worked as a guide for several years and got "pro deals" on equipment. At one point, I owned about 40 top-end fly rods. They've slowly migrated to eBay and out of my closet. The ones that remain and get used the most are the 9' 4, 5, and 6 weight rods.

Personally, my backcountry rods are a pair of 4 and 5 weight 8'9" 5 piece Winston LT's. But you'll have a hard time finding them because Winston discontinued the line several years ago.

This. I have two different tenkara outfits. I have a Tenkara USA Rhodo that telescopes from 8'10" to 10'6" and weighs 2.1 ounces and closes to 21" for smaller streams. My bigger fish outfit is a Tenkara Rod Co. Teton that is 12' open, closes to 20 inches and is 3.4 ounces. I have caught 16-18" brown trout on it with no problem at all and I have saw videos with people handling way bigger fish with it.

I have a

2wt Echo Carbon XL 4 piece (3.7 oz) [More weight with case, but still the lightest rod w/ case I own]

Redington Zero 2/3 Black (2.7 oz)

I carry two spools - One with OPST 150 grain shooting head with Rio Grip Shooter Running Line and the other with Rio Intouch Trout LT DT3.

I use the OPST for distance casting in lakes and the Intouch LT for beaver ponds when I need to be careful about presentation.

I fish with various rods in the backcountry; from Tenkara pocket rods, to 2-piece bamboo rods.

Where I find that I can really save weight and bulk, however, is not with the rod, but rather with the other gear. I take a very minimalistic fly fishing kit with me when I'm in the backcountry.

Here's a description of my backcountry fishing kit: http://larsonweb.com/blog/?p=487

There's more backcountry fly fishing information here: http://www.larsonweb.com/flyfishing/

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gcporteous
Back