Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Caldwell Lead Sled

Rooster52

How many of you own and use a Lead Sled? I just bought one as the recoil of some of my rifles is getting rough on my 64 year old shoulder.

I have one and really like using it when sighting in or target practice. Eliminates the flinch

Don't and won't own one. In my opinion they promote bad shooting form. That recoil has to go somewhere. Not good for the rifle and scope taking it all strapped in a solid rest. What fun is shooting a rifle basically mechanically held solid? mtmuley

like most,the recoil of a rifle when shooting at a game animal is usually never felt but setting at the bench some mag rifles can really rock you.I do not plan on using one all the time at the range but when sighting in a magnum rifle with new scope or ammo I think it will work.
I have heard to wrap the back of your but stock with a bath towel on a hard kicking rifle to save the but stock from cracking under the recoil.

Last edited:
I bought one last year and found I was more accurate using sandbags. You also can't really use the same form so that changes thing too.

like most,the recoil of a rifle when shooting at a game animal is usually never felt but setting at the bench some mag rifles can really rock you.
I got one of those slip-on pads and it helped quite a bit when sighting in, but I was only using an '06.

Tried one a while back, did not care for it one bit. Sandbags, recoil pad on rifle, shoulder pad on me if needed. I don't mind looking like a wus when I'm checking zero with my .45-70.

I have on and don't like using it! Shooting off of sand bags I'm way more accurate!

I will look for one of thoughs PAST shoulder pad tomorrow at our local sporting goods store.

Don't and won't own one. In my opinion they promote bad shooting form. That recoil has to go somewhere. Not good for the rifle and scope taking it all strapped in a solid rest. What fun is shooting a rifle basically mechanically held solid? mtmuley

They have been known to crack stocks and toast scopes on big bores I know.

From all I hear about the lead sled I called and canceled my order. Thanks for all the info.

I had the weirdest accuracy results with a friend's sled while sighting in this summer so I also went back to bags to regain accuracy.

Even though I didn't like mine, I see a lot of bench rests when I go to the range. They seem to be preferred by the gun fanatics dialing in their loads. Are some better?

I use them initially with a rifle when sighting in a new scope. I don't use any weight though as I've heard horror stories about the damage they can do. Once I've got a rifle sighted, all the rest of the shots are with a regular bag. You need to shoot with what you will use in the field, whether it's shooting sticks or a backpack. Like others, I'd use a pad to rip with the recoil if needed.

I have shot hundreds, or thousands of rounds over a lead sled and absolutely love it for range work. It allows you to have a solid rest and not worry about the recoil of a magnum. The part about cracking stocks and scopes is pure nonsense. The only way that happens, is if you anchor them like a vice. Mine jumps every time you shoot and it has to be reset. I suppose if you put too much weight on it, it could be bad.

If you have bad form with a lead sled, then you will have bad form anyway. It is no different than any other rest in that respect. People get flinchy and that promotes bad form, also.

I used to have a sore shoulder after every range sessions without the sled. I have no problem now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back