Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Any mycologists around here?

Paul in Idaho

While elk hunting last weekend I found a few of these in a north-facing area. My first guess is a giant puffball, but I don't know much about mushrooms. Can anyone identify this? I left it and a few others growing nearby since I wasn't sure if it was edible.

IMG_5147.jpg

Edible but that one is way past that point. They need to be white, and white all the way through. They taste like nothing... not really that good for much.

Yes, probably the Calvatia gigantea. I've found them up to 3 ft. in diameter. Good if young and fresh, around 3-4", sliced thin and fried in butter and garlic.

I've seen some mushrooms I thought were puffballs that turned out to be some very dangerous variety. Make sure you cut them up and if they have gills don't eat them!

These are the shrooms I picked that looked like puffballs, but were apparently deadly amanita. You can see the mushroom shape and the gills when cut in half.

IMG_3199.jpg

IMG_3200.jpg

My grandfather was from France he told me if you break them in half and they turn black then They are poisonous but that was in France so no clue.

Back