Yeti GOBOX Collection

Starkey experimental forest info

ORelk

hello fellow hunters

im looking for information/ first hand experience any one may have about hunting elk in this the Starkey experimental forest. i have the tag this year and am just looking for any help i can get. trying to get my first bull.

thank you for your time

justin

it's been a while since i hunted that unit. i had a trophy deer tag and shot a nice buck . was able to bugle several bulls in during my deer hunt , actually had more fun with the elk, as far as drainage's its been too long to remember but not far from the main gate theres a road that heads west, plenty of bulls in there, but look on map and find those north facing slopes with water. good bulls in there, my buddy killed a hi 350 bull in the meadow creek drainage. good luck.

I hunted it for archery elk and mule deer rifle in the past, tagging out on great animals both times. PM me with any questions you have, and I'll do my best to help you out.

Matt

My wife and I both had rifle deer tags in the Experimental Forest last year. The deer hunting was terrible, but the elk viewing/watching was spectacular. If fact, if it weren't for all the elk, we probably would have went home a couple days early because the deer hunting really sucked. The weather for clear and warm for the most of the five day season. Honestly, it didn't seem to matter where we hunted, there were elk literally everywhere we went. Lots of 250-300 class bulls. Just get away from the loop road a little bit and you should be in elk nirvana. My wife should have the rifle elk tag in there next year.

just wand to give everyone a huge thank you for your help! i have sent PM's so check your inboxes

thank you again!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NMArcheryCoues24
Back