Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Belt Knife

WestT

Wanted to get you guys thoughts on a new knife. Had a Knives of Alaska Jaeger Boning knife I liked to carry on my belt during hunts. Unfortunately the sheath didn't do it's job correctly and the knife is laying somewhere in Texas after it fell out during a recent hog hunt. I am considering what to replace it with?

The knife was more of a "do all" part of my gear. I have other knives that I prefer to skin/gut/quarter so it doesn't need to be a highly specialized blade. I carry it on my belt as a go to for any task. Wether that be slicing an apple I had at the truck after one leg of a gruelling 2 1/2 day pack out to share with a partner, cutting parachord to hang quarters, capable of skinning and quartering if need be, preparing kindling for a fire, etc, etc.

I do have two requirements though:
1.) It needs to be a fixed blade
2.) It has to be made in the USA

Thanks!!

Sorry man that sucks. I use a small buck that has been discontinued for my belt knife I have had it since I was 16. I would be devastated if I lost it, but only for sentimental reasons as I am sure there are plenty of other knives out there that can do the job.

Look up the knife made by Real Avid , revelation , its a full tang and it has lights along the blade, been very pleased with mine

I use Cutco knives made in Olean NY. I use the Drop Point Hunting Knife from Cutco

A custom knife is really a good idea, if you can spend the money. The downside may be time to delivery, unless they have one that you want already made. I have a custom knife that Cody Wescott in Las Cruces, New Mexico made for me and it took forever to get it. I think he is dead now.

Whatever you choose, I would go with D2, S30V, or 154 CM steel. This range of steels will hold a good edge as long as you know how to sharpen.

Gerber Gator Premium as used by Fresh Tracks. Comes with full tang and folder options. Made in Portland, S30V steel, Amazon in stock under $90 (go through the amazon ad here on HuntTalk and Big Fin gets some benefit too)

Here is Gerber's page regarding this knife: http://www.gerbergear.com/gator/

Have you considered a custom knife directly from a maker, like David Winston, Gene Ingram, Charles May or Dale Howe.

This, life is too short to carry an ugly knife.

Last edited:

I also use this same knife without the serrated edge. cutco will sharpen for free and if they cant get the same edge on the knife after too many sharpening's they just replace it with a brand new one. its a kinda big so its a good all around knife to go with a havalon or gerber vital. that knives of Alaska on you had is super nice, my dad has one, hard not to just buy another one of those
saw these the other day and were intriguing
www.montanaamericana.com

Last edited:
Back