How to Jig Fish for Trout Video

Big Sky

I get asked a lot about how I jig fish for trout. Well I finally took the time to put together an informative and hopefully somewhat entertaining video of how I do it. It's not long only 10-11 minutes, but it show pretty much everything about how I jig for trout. Hope you enjoy it. I don't get anything for this other than I hope it will help someone else out. If you do like it, even a little bit, please click the thumbs up on the YouTube site. Thank you, Troy a.k.a. Big Sky
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECOJGqtHPsk

Thank you. Very enjoyable. I think the skill of the fisherman is mostly responsible. Makes it look easy.

Nice job Troy. I buy jig heads from Cabelas and dress them with marabou, etc. Usually black, brown, and green. Use 4lb test and a Sr Croix rod that is very limber and 10 feet long. Many times I tie 2 feet of tippet to the jig hook at the bend and then tie on a nymph. Have been doing this many years.

Used to fish like this, with heavier gear, as a kid in New England chasing striped bass, blues and summer flounder (no nymph though).

Keep up the good work.

Hunts, I can honestly say I never thought of doing that, but it is a great idea. How often do you figure they hit on the nymph vs the jig? I'm going to have to try this! Considering how many fly fishermen use a double fly system in only makes sense that this would work. Kind of having one of those "WHY DIDN'T I THINK OF THAT?!" moments right now. :)

Hunts, I can honestly say I never thought of doing that, but it is a great idea. How often do you figure they hit on the nymph vs the jig? I'm going to have to try this! Considering how many fly fishermen use a double fly system in only makes sense that this would work. Kind of having one of those "WHY DIDN'T I THINK OF THAT?!" moments right now. :)

It depends. Some days the nymph WAY outperforms the jig. You do get some interesting knots from time to time. This works good in rivers for me.

I'm glad some of you are enjoying this video. Hopefully it will get a decent number of views and help people out that want to learn how to run a jig. There is a little feel and finesse to it. :)

Last edited:
Good video. Things were a little windy when you explained about the Circle cast. Could you elaborate a little more?

Whenever you see a fish rise, it usually leaves a circle on the water. Cast for the circle/rise. The fact that a fish broke the surface means it is eating and odds are they will hit a jig tossed right in the circle, or just a foot or two, beyond it. About the only time it doesn't work is if tons of fish are rising and keying in on one specific insect. However if there isn't some major insect hatch going on the random rising trout will often take a jig. That is exactly what happened in the video. I saw the fish rise, reeled in my previous cast really fast, and then cast for where the fish rose. It hit the jig within seconds of hitting the water, hit on the initial drop before I even gave the jig its first pop. I love it when that happens. Just a little side note: In the spring shortly after ice out many rainbow trout cruise the shallows in a false spawn. Now and then you will see one rise and take something off the surface. I'd say about 80% of the time when I see that in the Spring I get a strike when I cast for the circle. It is addictive!

Last edited:
Thanks for posting the video Troy. I've been enjoying your fishing pics for a long time, I've got to give this a try.

For what it's worth I started jigging this year, and although I still have a lot to learn, I've been really impressed with the results so far.

Great job!
Mostly the same Technique for Walleye 'sept they don't jump and I use twister tales or fish bodies
:eek:

Well the browns should be aggressive with their spawn and biting. Methinks I will hit a local creek in the morning and see if I can jig up a brownie or two. Picked up a new action video camera and hope to get a little new video footage as well. Hopefully all the local rattle-me snakes have gone underground. They are the whole reason I don't fish this particular creek during any warm months.

Well we will find out.
Little Granddaughter and I are going ling fishing this week, the moon and wind will be right.
It is amazing the BIG rainbows and browns we get as collateral damage, with a big gob of sucker meat on the bottom of the river at night

Coyotes-R-Us hope you two limit out and post up some photos. I'll be more than a little envious if you guys have a hot bite. Those crazy looking fish are so darn crazy good on the table!

We always seam to get some.
Early as it is in the ling year, we may get some nice ones.
AND yes we will post some pics...

Hope to get out ling fishing this week. Hopefully after next week's brutal cold things will warm back up a little and a guy might be able to get in a little jig fishing this winter around here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mthunter137
Back