Caribou Gear Tarp

Gut Hook Quandary

I've never been able to find a use for a gut hook. Just give me a regular, razor sharp knife.

I like the outdoor edge folder that has the zip blade also. I do the gutless method and use it along spine and down the legs. It works very well for this and quartering. I think doing it this way helps keep hair off meat and blades sharper. I don't use a saw at all to quarter either.

Last edited:
I traded my worthless replaceable blade knives for a Swingblade. The zipper works great for splitting the hide. I used it on 17 deer this summer and so gave it a good workout. The knife is well-made, but the only thing that would make it better, is better quality steel. AUSA8 dulls quickly, but is also quickly re-sharpened.

I think this knife is the best of both worlds in one package, for a reasonable price. The replaceables are a game changer if you cannot sharpen a knife, but I will take a solid fixed-blade every time.

I like your worthless replaceable blade knives :cool:

I have one of those "opens game like a zipper" blades and man does that make it quick and easy running up the spine to the neck. Then i switch to the havalon for the rest of the skinning/ quartering/ boning

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back