Caribou Gear

Gut Hook Quandary

VAspeedgoat

Ive been using the gutless method on most animals for the last few years. One thing that I have tried to do is figure out what tool/tools are best to carry. I have tried just a knife and its ok. I've added and taken away a small folding saw so I don't have to break joints. The jury is still out for me on a gut hook however. I have some as part of a knife but don't really like them. I was considering getting a separate gut hook but was curious to hear from you guys and get recommendations. I've looked at the buck paclite, gerber vital, and wyoming knife. I've also used a browning reaper but I think its cutting area is too small and it gets hung up in tougher hide and thicker hair. Are any of these better options or am I trying to reinvent the wheel. I'm also considering something like a switchblade that you push instead of pull. Thanks for any input or experiences.

Not sure the purpose of the gut hook? I carry a Havalon and a folding fillet knife for boning. Often I never even use the boning knife. I did my sheep with the Havalon and 2 blades. I've done a whole elk with just a Havalon.

I guess I was thinking the gut hook would make quick work of the cut along the spine and down the legs. Maybe I'm really over thinking the whole thing. Do any of you guys use a saw for the leg bones or do you break them at the joints? This will be on deer sized game.

This year I picked up their new gut hook blade for the havalon. I'm hoping to put it to use in a few weeks, swapping it out once the animal is unzipped.

Haha. I would definitely use the gut shark on a javelina!

Otherwise I am not sure the Havalon will ever be topped.

Gerald beat me to it. I read the thread title and instantly thought the Gut Shark is exactly what you're looking for.

I guess I was thinking the gut hook would make quick work of the cut along the spine and down the legs. Maybe I'm really over thinking the whole thing. Do any of you guys use a saw for the leg bones or do you break them at the joints? This will be on deer sized game.

I'm sure it would make those cuts a touch quicker.

I don't carry a saw. If I have a need to remove legs I just pop them at the joints. Otherwise just leave them on the carcass I'm deboning.

I've used a gut hook Schrade in the past. I don't see any advantage to one now. When I'm butchering an animal in the woods I want as few utensils as necessary flying around. I'm bad at setting things in a "safe" place and then walking away. A Gerber folding knife covers my needs for now.

With the gutless method, I bone all the meat out. The only joint I'm concerned with is the skull & spine. That takes some work, but comes apart with knife work and some elbow grease. No nee for a bone saw, while I do carry a folding wood saw for making blinds, etc.

Ahhh, its not fall on hunt talk without the Gutshark! I walked right into that one.

I had just been quartering the deer so I could take them back to the shop and get them on a table to debone. I definitely see the difference when packing distance is an issue.

So does anybody else use a guthook to start the skinning process. The havalon has been mentioned, any ither suggestions.

I have a buddy that always uses a utility knife with a hook blade for opening up an animal for skinning. It does work pretty slick.

I'm down to just using two knives in the field, a havalon and a good benchmade fixed blade. I've tried a couple different gut hooks and they always seemed more gimmick than function to me. That said for the last several years every animal I've harvested has been quartered in the field and I haven't gutted one in quite a while. Lower legs come off pretty easy with a couple knife cuts, I don't see any need for a saw for breaking down an animal.

Ive been using the gutless method on most animals for the last few years. One thing that I have tried to do is figure out what tool/tools are best to carry. I have tried just a knife and its ok. I've added and taken away a small folding saw so I don't have to break joints. The jury is still out for me on a gut hook however. I have some as part of a knife but don't really like them. I was considering getting a separate gut hook but was curious to hear from you guys and get recommendations. I've looked at the buck paclite, gerber vital, and wyoming knife. I've also used a browning reaper but I think its cutting area is too small and it gets hung up in tougher hide and thicker hair. Are any of these better options or am I trying to reinvent the wheel. I'm also considering something like a switchblade that you push instead of pull. Thanks for any input or experiences.

How do you get the liver and heart when you do gutless? :cool:

How do you get the liver and heart when you do gutless? :cool:

Usually do gutless early in the year when it is warm and do without the heart. When it is cool enough to let them hang I will always take the heart if its intact.

As far as the liver, I would just as soon eat an oil filter out of my tractor as eat the "oil filter" out of a deer

Quartered an entire bull elk on Sunday with a Havalon and 4 blades. (broke 2, dulled 1,4th one still in knife). Including removing the skull, caping, and removing all the lower legs.

As an aside, I highly recommend the bright Orange Havalon, owning a camouflage knife seems like a dumb idea.

I have a Havalon, but i also have a EKA swingblade, great knife, seen here in the video, not in English but you will get the picture.
I have never used a bone saw, a knife is all you need and practice learning where the joints are, even taking off the head is easy once you understand the joint structure.
Hearing that Red Stag in the video is getting me excited, the rut will start any day now, the Fallow bucks have started already.....why am i typing this...i am going to grab my rifle and pop out for a couple of hours.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ggxURrsRNs

Cheers

Richard

I traded my worthless replaceable blade knives for a Swingblade. The zipper works great for splitting the hide. I used it on 17 deer this summer and so gave it a good workout. The knife is well-made, but the only thing that would make it better, is better quality steel. AUSA8 dulls quickly, but is also quickly re-sharpened.

I think this knife is the best of both worlds in one package, for a reasonable price. The replaceables are a game changer if you cannot sharpen a knife, but I will take a solid fixed-blade every time.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalton14rocks
Back