Iowa elk hunter missing in Montana

I'm so jealous of this guy. What a way to go doing something that you love. If he had it his way, he'd probably tell you to leave him there. God bless him.
I'll have a drink to you my friend. Godspeed.

Pretty hard to argue with that. I told my wife if I had it my way I would die on the side of a mountain. No better way to go out.

Prayers for his family, I can't imagine how they are feeling right now. Glad to hear they were able to recover his body.

HT'ers. Excuse my ignorance....but what is it about this mountain range that seems to be so deadly (I have read all the folklore)? I have been hunting the west for 3-4 years now and it seems like I hear about someone disappearing every year in these mountains. I know all mountains are to be revered and respected....weather can change on a dime. Be well equipped, etc....but what gives here. Sorry to lose a fellow midwestern hunter and prayers to his family. :(

Last edited:
Watch your topknots, folks.
I agree I don't think the Crazies are any more dangerous than your typical western mountain range. Rugged country. Even if you are prepared, sometimes things go wrong. Godspeed to his family.

Are there wolves and griz in the Crazy Mtns? If not maybe it's a more popular destination for out of state folks. More people=more accidents. Terrible for his family but at least they were able to find him rather now rather than months or years down the road.

My thoughts go out to the family.

I hunted there this year. These are no different that any other mountain ranges I have hunted. I don't know the full story on how he fell off a cliff, but would not put myself in a position for this to happen.

And there are no Griz there, and it has some wolves. From what I saw it is a very popular destination (more people than I care for) for hunting.

Last edited:
Having kind of been on the receiving end of losing someone while they were "doing what they loved", it is a somewhat hollow comfort in the short term and it still takes some effort to talk yourself into that thinking.

People die all the time in tame country, mostly because they have a distorted perception of risk. Its almost more likely for people to have accidents somewhere that seems "safer", because they take less care than if they were in a perceived "dangerous" place.

Hope the family finds some comfort in the fairly rapid closure.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
believeinyourself
Back