H4831 or RL22 ?

For typical hunting situations 20 fps of difference is inconsequential. Not all powders are that temperature stable. When velocity increases or decreases, pressure will follow. The one thing that I have encountered is with one single hand load, when I loaded it max, and chronoed it in February at about 30 degrees pressure was fine, but when I shot the load during the summer at about 85 degrees I started flattening primers, the bolt lift became quite sticky and started seeing scaring from the ejector on the case heads. I ended up backing that load off by .5gr. If it's not a max load, There really shouldn't be any significant issues. If it's a max load, or if you are trying to find the practical max for your specific rifle, it's worth shooting them at high temps to make sure of any pressure issues. Not every powder is the same, but especially if you have an hunts coming up in Hot conditions; it may be worth considering temperature effects. This is one experience with one specific load, and one specific rifle. And to be fair, The load was H4350 in a .325WSM with 200Gr Acubond's. Hodgdon lists the max load for this combo at 67 grains, nosler lists it a 64.5 grains. This specific issue happened at 67 grains. I say this to encourage y'all by pointing out that this specific instance is most likely an anomaly, but especially if the load will be used for hot weather hunts, it cannot hurt to check.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
runoutdoors
Back