Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

H4831 or RL22 ?

Rooster52

Which one of these powders would you say is the least temperature sensitive ? Loading 140 Accubonds for 270 Winchester.

I almost always prefer Hodgdon powder and H4831 claims to be very temperature stable. There are many claims that Reloader 22 is very temperature sensitive. Alliant admits RL22 has issues and has created RL23 (temp stable version) in response. I've never used either but based on a lot of negative remarks about R22 would have me grabbing H4831. If available get H4831SC as it pours much better than H4831

I use Hybrid 100V in my 270 and there are claims it is temperature sensitive but I have not noticed any performance issues with it.

I'm running the 140 grain accubond out of my 22 inch barreled Ruger American in 270. From my load development I have found that H4831 give me the best results and since it's part of their extreme line of powders, it should be less temperature sensitive. Most of the ball powders reloader 22 and reloader 17 are going to be pretty temperature sensitive. 58.0 grains of H4831 with Federal 210 primers gives me sub MOA accuracy and about 2950 on my muzzle velocity.

That's good as I have a lot more 4831 on hand than reloader 22.Also have some Accurate magnum Rifle powder equal to A3100 I may try some of it next week.

I run 59.2 grains of H4831 in my Tikka 270 with the 140 AB, thing shoots lights out. It also happens to shoot the 140 BT to the same spot for cheaper practice and does wonders on antelope.

When working up loads the 4831 was much more consistent than R22

I always hear about this temperature sensitivity thing. Is it really that big of an issue? I've never considered it to be a problem unless I'm sighting/shooting in 80+ degree weather and near max loads. Should I be worried about velocity drop when it gets cold? I don't shoot long range so I never considered it an issue.

Depending on your definition of long-range, drop charts are calibrated for a certain muzzle velocity and if you drop it by close to a hundred feet per second because you took a chronograph reading at 85 degrees and now you're on the side of a mountain at 10 degrees for a late-season elk hunt that could result in a miss

I load H4831SC in a friends .270 using magnum primers to work up the load for him. It is extremely effective and I imagine the 140 grain bullet will work just as well. Best of luck. I have personally tried the Reloader powders such as RL22 and I didn't care for them.

I load H4831SC in a friends .270 using magnum primers to work up the load for him. It is extremely effective and I imagine the 140 grain bullet will work just as well. Best of luck. I have personally tried the Reloader powders such as RL22 and I didn't care for them.

What did you not like?

Never tried either, use h4350 for my 270,30-06 & 338wm. I have shot all 3 from 95 degrees down to 20 over a chrono and have less than 8fps difference from the 2 extremes. Also found no difference when you add humidity into the mix. Just my $.02.

http://www.hodgdon.com/smokeless/extreme/page2.php#top

Here's a link from Hodgdon's website. The second graph down shows velocity change between 0-125 Degrees F including H4831SC and RL22. IMHO the Hodgdon extreme powders are some of the best produced, hands down. If the rifle will shoot H4831 or H4831SC well, I'd just stop and call the search over...

Interesting. So if I'm reading this right, change in velocity of maybe up to 1fps per degree for some powders, but about half that in others. That seems nearly inconsequential unless you're a target or long range shooter? Something to think about, none the less. I would think changes in altitude, and humidity have about the same effect at the same ranges?

I

There's enough to worry about with a hunting load. Temp sensitivity will never be noticed unless you are really stretching the range. If your rifle likes Alliant, shoot it with no worries. mtmuley

http://www.hodgdon.com/smokeless/extreme/page2.php#top

Here's a link from Hodgdon's website. The second graph down shows velocity change between 0-125 Degrees F including H4831SC and RL22. IMHO the Hodgdon extreme powders are some of the best produced, hands down. If the rifle will shoot H4831 or H4831SC well, I'd just stop and call the search over...

Thanks for the link. Page 2 of it shows loads for the 300 Win Mag with 180 gr bullets. With RL 22, velocity at 70 degrees is 3087, and at 0 degrees, it only drops 20 fps to 3067. I get almost that amount of deviation when I am shooting over my chrono at one shooting session. Am I missing something, or is it really not enough to worry about in hunting distances under 300 or 400 yards?

Last edited:
Back