Dream Montana Goat Hunt

wildaggie13

Going into the 2016 I still hadn’t put my tag on any western big game animal. I have been a member of this awesome forum group for over a year, but not able to contribute much valuable information until now. I am from Texas and been hunting my entire life, but just got into western game animals 3 years ago. The first two years hunting back country mule deer in Wyoming and elk in Colorado were very good learning experiences for me to say the least. Since I starting applying for tags, I have been putting in for 7 states every year for elk, mule deer, a few pronghorn, and a few mountain goats. This year I was planning to hunt mule deer in Colorado and had scouted the entire unit this past spring. This plan took a huge step back when I got a letter in the mail from Montana stating that I had 1 week to accept my mountain goat tag or it was going to be given to the next person. I thought surely it was a prank, because who draws a mountain goat tag on their 3rd year? Sure enough I logged on and saw “successful”! I had never even bothered to check the outcome earlier in the year since I assumed I wouldn’t draw for 15 years if ever as a non resident. Now I had a tag of a lifetime, with no plan, never even seen a mountain goat, and only 6 weeks until opening day! Being a fitness director, and obsessive year round hunter/hiker, I stay in pretty good shape year round. I remember the week before I got my tag telling a client of mine, who is going to British Columbia, to ALWAYS be in “sheep shape”. Sure enough, this was a prime example of why!
After making many calls to anyone who had information about the unit or wanted to tag along on this hunt, I finally decided on taking my wife, Kenisha. Most people would have gone with an outfitter in my situation, but I wanted to do this on my own. This hunt was going to be a once in a lifetime hunt and I knew that my wife would never understand the pure beauty if she wasn’t alongside me. This would also be a great way to spend time together in our hectic lives. Kenisha is an elementary school teacher who has off in the summers. She has only gone with me on several scouting trips in the past seasons and yet to stay in the woods for more than 1 night consecutively. This was definitely going to be a challenge that I thought I was up to.
As mid September hit I had trained hard, got gear put together for both of us, and was ready for the 24 hour drive to southern Montana. This trip started and ended up unlike my previous hunts in that every plan worked flawlessly. We hiked in 7 miles and just happened to set up camp on a ridge that looked right into 3 basins that was full of goats. We had streams of water on both sides of our camp, and bugling elk to serenade us in the evenings. This is what a premium tag is supposed to be like!! The weather even cooperated giving us plenty of sunshine for glassing and the occasional nap. On only the second day, I had goats at 520 yards in the scope, but decided to pass due to where they were on the mountain and it had gotten late into the afternoon. At the end of that day we went back to camp early to eat and rest up for the next day’s adventure. That night I went to bed planning my approach on the goats. It was about a 2 mile hike to get around the north end of the cliffs they like to hang out on so the next day we ate our oatmeal and headed out early. On the way I wanted to check out this basin that I thought just had to hold some goats. As we were looking into that basin, we spotted goats up above us on a steep ridge. We immediately hit the ground and started backtracking down the mountain to get out of their view. After shedding our gear we began our final stalk up over the crest of the mountain. At around 500 yards the goats started walking down the ridge line towards us and we started crawling towards them to close the distance. Over the next 10 minutes that seemed like eternity I was repeatedly going through the motions of ranging, adjusting my turret, and checking my level on the scope. Finally I ranged them at 162 yards and they were going to be too far under me if I didn’t shoot soon. I put my Kimber 270 turret on 150 yards, centered my crosshairs on the middle of the shoulder, and waited for the lead goat to clear the others. Just as I got a clear shot I pulled the trigger and saw the goat drop in the scope. For the first time in 6 weeks I finally relaxed. I was relieved and ecstatic at the same time. I had been worrying about so many what ifs along the way that it was very hard to enjoy the hunt. Everyone kept telling me just to have fun, but there is just so much pressure involved that it really is hard to do.
After getting the goat skinned, quartered, and deboned, we headed the 2 miles back to camp to rest up for the brutal 7 mile hike out the next day. It’s almost surreal when you are hanging your mountain goat in to a tree for the night. As most of this backcountry backpack hunting is this hunt was definitely 80-90% work and the rest fun. I wouldn’t trade it for anything in the world. We got a decent night sleep other that my wife being scared to death of grizzly bears all night and nudging me every time she heard a noise every five minutes. The last day out was just as hard as it should have been with over 100 lbs. on my back. I’ve never had so many aches and pains but at the same time astonished at what we had accomplished at the same time.
This hunt had truly been an amazing experience that I got to fulfill with my wife by my side. Even though she might have slowed me down at times, or made me worry about her own physical well being, I wouldn’t have wanted another hunting partner than her. As the years pass I will always cherish the week we spent on top of the Montana mountains enjoying some of Gods untouched creations and unforgettable vistas. I would like to thank everyone who watched our 3 young children while we were away, and would also thank Randy Newberg and Angelo for putting up with all of my questions regarding this hunt of five lifetimes. I’m feeling so lucky; I might even start applying for sheep!!

Attachments

• IMG_0395.JPG
    IMG_0395.JPG
    135.3 KB · Views: 1,085
  • IMG_0427.JPG
    IMG_0427.JPG
    149.1 KB · Views: 1,084
  • IMG_0426.JPG
    IMG_0426.JPG
    179.6 KB · Views: 1,100
  • IMG_0423.JPG
    IMG_0423.JPG
    150.8 KB · Views: 1,130
Congrats on the success. It looked like a fun hunt and I'm glad you sealed the deal on that rare non-resident tag.

Please answer 1 question as I'm sure there will be a ton that want to know. :) I ask in pure jest and in rib poking fun...why didn't you check your drawing status until they sent the warning letter? Most of us are chomping at the bit days before they release the results.

Congrats on the goat!! I bet it was great to share the experience with your wife and have that memory for many years to come.

Congrats on the success. It looked like a fun hunt and I'm glad you sealed the deal on that rare non-resident tag.

Please answer 1 question as I'm sure there will be a ton that want to know. :) I ask in pure jest and in rib poking fun...why didn't you check your drawing status until they sent the warning letter? Most of us are chomping at the bit days before they release the results.

Well, I guess I kinda forgot bc I put in for so many states and animals that I can't keep them straight. I also have twins that at 4 and a 1 year old, so I run on little sleep at the moment. Plus the fact that if you look at the odds to draw that tag its like .01%.

Great write up, awesome goat, beautiful scenery, and you're a lucky man to have a wife to tag along and be willing to help and to draw such a tag! You're a blessed man! Congratulations!

Congrats on a nice goat and your hunt of a lifetime! To enjoy it with your wife makes it all the more special.

Wow, what a great hunt! Thanks for sharing your hunt with us all! What a trophy!

Nice job. Glad you got some good pics of more than just the goat. Where was this?

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back