Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Passing on animals

Gr8bawana

A couple of years ago when I had an antelope tag we ran across two separate bucks while driving down the dirt road to our camping area. This past season my son had an antelope tag and we again drove by a very nice buck on the road to our camping area. In both instances we elected to pass on them because it's so much fun to hunt antelope.
Besides we have a weeks worth of food for 3 people and and it needs to be eaten.
We tagged out both times with very nice bucks so no loss there.
Some of our friends tell us we are crazy to pass on nice bucks just because we haven't even set up camp yet.
Do any of you guys do the same just to extend your hunts?

Yeah I would typically pass something up if I hadn't set up camp yet. That just wouldn't feel like hunting to me (unless he was a monster, then I would reconsider). Depending on how long I have to hunt, I will pass up smaller bucks in hopes of getting something bigger. That has come back to bite me as I ended up not harvesting anything. For my upcoming elk hunt, I plan on shooting the first legal bull I see as I don't want to go another year eating tag soup.

I would say the point of the hunt is to hunt. So go hunt. If your idea of hunting is killing a buck before you set up camp, well, OK. But why not stretch it out and enjoy your self, the game and the country? On the other hand, if I saw a legal bull elk I would probably just shoot it, regardless. Just the way I was raised. My dad taught me it's just plain ungrateful to pass up a good legal shot at an elk.

I pass on animals all the time, even big bulls. When I'm out for 30 days I hate the idea of going back early with meat or otherwise. When I'm out for less time, like a week, I usually haven't even gotten into the primal groove yet and then I really hate to leave. Besides, getting on the same animals more than once makes me feel more welcome. I go home empty handed a lot, waiting till the last day. It's all good.

It depends on what and animal you are hunting and why you are hunting. I went thru being a meat hunter, a trophy hunter and now I just like to hunt , to be out in the mountains and enjoy the view and enjoy seeing the animals.

A lot of it for me is the hunt. I'm very backwards. I'll shoot a 5 point bull miles in on a backpack hunt but if I'm going to shoot one off the road it better be a very nice bull. The backpack hunt is far more exciting and that will always make up for shooting a smaller bull.

If I see a big Mule Deer buck, ill shoot first minute of the first day or anytime during a hunt. The chances of seeing one are just so small. If its a mediocre Deer, or Antelope or even a raghorn Elk, ill pass just to hunt some more. This is a good way to go home with your tag un-notched, but it isnt about the kill... But it sure is nice when you get a good one!

I just got back from a bear hunt with hounds. We treed several bears but I went home empty handed. It's no big deal to me, I've killed enough animals to know that the fun is in the chase not the kill.

I pass on a lot of whitetails because I have killed a lot of whitetails.

If I am hunting an animal that I have killed before and I know it is going to be somewhat challenging I don't pass.

I've found that it's always easier to regret not passing up an animal than to regret passing an animal.

I can think of a few I regret pulling the trigger on. That disappointment is a big part of the reason I let some fine animals go.

I can always find something else to do after notching a tag, and it doesn't include going home or back to work.

Last year, on my first antelope hunt in Wyoming, I passed on a nice buck that was right off the road 15 minutes into the hunt. I wanted to extend the weekend a bit and have some fun hunting with my dad. Of course I never saw another buck that nice, but I did tag out and we had a great time. Don't regret it at all...

I think your nuts. I shoot the first mature animal I find. If it is 10 minutes into the hunt much better. Nobody said you have to go home once you shoot. I always take other supplies whether it is fishing or hunting. In the mountains, your close to fishing typically. Or grouse, which runs the same time as archer and 2nd rifle seasons in CO. On antelope hunts, I take prairie dog guns and ammo. Hunting is camping and camping is hunting the way I look at it. My goal is to get an animal.

I can always find something else to do after notching a tag, and it doesn't include going home or back to work.

My regret has nothing to do with ending the hunt. I have never needed a tag in my pocket to justify time in the hills. I regret not being able to look for the animal's sheds in the spring and looking for him on summer range to see what he has become the next year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back