Selling points for Boise Area for the Fiance

teej89

Alright so my fiance and I are trying to move out west and I proposed the boise area, we currently live in OH, however she immediately turned it down and I don't think she gave it a good shot. She loves the beach and warm weather so we compromised on arizona but I explained the hot summers will be miserable so I convinced her to do the prescott area with mild winters and not unbearable summers. She was okay with that since it'll be a six-ish hour drive to san diego and we could always do weekend trips.

Anywho..... I can't get idaho off my mind, it's driving me nuts, on top of that I went through gohunt last night and bout cried when I saw draw odds for my Utah and CO goat tags I'm saving points for compared to a resident goat tag in Idaho....

I need some selling points... I think I'll propose a plan that during the cold months we can fly out every other month to do a "date weekend" in San Diego. I really think she'd like idaho but I need to convince her to check it out first, the summers seem great and winters don't seem as bad as Ohio. I looked on climate data and in 2015 and 2016 it looks like temps touch the 50s in february and 60s in march which I think would be a plus for her, or the internet lied to me, again.

Selling points as things to do, experiences with weather, the urban life, traffic, does it have accommodations of a city without the crazy city crowd, etc...

Thanks guys!!

There is plenty to love about living in Boise. Did you know San Diego is only a 2 hour flight from Boise?

I think your temps for Jan and Feb are too high. However, for the most part, snow doesn't stay on the ground long in Boise before it melts.

Google inversion. Depending on the year, Boise will go through periods of inversion.

I think your temps for Jan and Feb are too high. However, for the most part, snow doesn't stay on the ground long in Boise before it melts.

Google inversion. Depending on the year, Boise will go through periods of inversion.

What would you say the temps we'll experience from November-March? When does it typically leave and get back into the 50/60s?

Edit: Nevermind I went onto the weather channel and found an average temps and it seems like come november it starts to dip out of the 50s and come february it starts to come back. 4 months of chilly weather... May be a harder sell now than I thought.

Last edited:
I grew up in the suburbs of Phx but moved to Boise over 10 years ago. I love the outdoor opportunities of both states, but wouldn't move back to AZ unless I had to. It's just too crowded for me and the traffic sucks. Boise is a big city, but not too big. We joke it has at least one of everything. And flying in/out of the airport is as convenient as it gets. The winters here in town are relatively mild (probably similar to Prescott actually), but skiing is still close by. The cost of living here is definitely a little lower.

Coincidentally my wife is originally from Akron but we met at ASU and she loves living here (better than AZ or OH). She will tell you it's a better place to raise children. She never fished before moving here and has become addicted to flyfishing. Of course Idaho is heaven for that. Standing alone in a cool mountain stream catching native cutthroats on dry flies is far better than going to a crowded beach! The Oregon coast is a short flight / long weekend drive away as well as Seattle. Also, there's endless whitewater opportunity here too and rafting isn't unlike going to the beach. ;)

Here's my wife on the headwaters of the Lochsa this summer.
robinlochsacutthroat.jpg

Another thing we love about Boise is you get all four seasons (in AZ it's just hot and not-hot). Feel free to shoot me a PM if you have any specific questions on either state. Good luck.

Boise is a cheap flight to major western cities. It has fishing, mtn biking, paddle boarding, kayaking and more activities right in town. the nearest ski hill is 17 miles up the mountain. it's 2 hrs from Sun Valley and McCall. You get all four seasons. The peak of winter can be a bit hot, the peak of winter can be a bit cold but the spring and fall are stellar. cost of living is still low compared to other cities. population is on the rise (and I hate that as I grew up here) but it's still a small "city". The area is booming right now and there are lots of opportunities both in profession and recreation. And, you get to watch football on the blue turf!!! Go Broncos!!!

What would you say the temps we'll experience from November-March? When does it typically leave and get back into the 50/60s?

Edit: Nevermind I went onto the weather channel and found an average temps and it seems like come november it starts to dip out of the 50s and come february it starts to come back. 4 months of chilly weather... May be a harder sell now than I thought.

You need to consider humidity in your numbers. It never feels as cold or hot in Idaho as in Ohio (I'm an Ohio ex-pat).

If you're interested in Boise, bring her here for a short vacation. I know very few people who don't fall in love with Boise.

You need to consider humidity in your numbers. It never feels as cold or hot in Idaho as in Ohio (I'm an Ohio ex-pat).

If you're interested in Boise, bring her here for a short vacation. I know very few people who don't fall in love with Boise.

what time of year would you suggest? We're checking out arizona in January, I was thinking maybe a may/june visit to boise?

What scares me about arizona is I feel prescott may be too small to make a good living but if we move to phoenix it'll be way too hot and living in a big city for the last 3.5yrs of my life (DC then columbus) I'm tired of ignorant people and the fast paced lifestyle that comes w/ cities, and traffic.

September and October in Idaho is beautiful. May/June is nice. It gets HOT in July and August.

I was in Prescott for a wedding in January. There was snow on the ground. I would guess the weather between Prescott and Boise are similar.

I know very few people who don't fall in love with Boise.

I agree with this. Most are surprised when they get to Boise and find out it is not all potatoes and/or forests.

May/June is a good time to see Boise. Is there something in particular that interests your wife besides a sandy beach? As Baerman pointed out, there are many outdoor activities and if she enjoys any of those she will like how close Boise is to all of those opportunities.

I agree with this. Most are surprised when they get to Boise and find out it is not all potatoes and/or forests.

May/June is a good time to see Boise. Is there something in particular that interests your wife besides a sandy beach? As Baerman pointed out, there are many outdoor activities and if she enjoys any of those she will like how close Boise is to all of those opportunities.

Next to beaches she enjoys hiking with our lab, running outdoors paths (not roads sidewalks or tracks) is her favorite thing maybe more than beaches, she said she'd like to try fishing and I grew up flyfishing since I could cast so I think she may like that, and she enjoys the city life of downtown areas and people. She likes her space and the outdoors but she also enjoys a night out downtown with a lively night life.

The only thing is she HATES snow and cold, she gets depressed, but she very much enjoys playing outside in the snow with our lab, it's all very contradicting lol

She's a nanny now, making a helluva lot of money doing it, for a NPR and Radiologist, but she's looking at going back to school to become a kindergarden teacher. She just switched from paramedic/firefighter to nannying and decided she wants to teach.

Those trails are nice!! And crazy convenient!

ANy negatives about the Boise area? Other than inversion?

What about the hunting?

Those trails are nice!! And crazy convenient!

ANy negatives about the Boise area? Other than inversion?

What about the hunting?

Boise is a horrible place, highly recommend somewhere in Colorado, or Montana.

Bad weather, bad traffic, crime, corrupt politicians, etc.

Yep, Colorado is the place to be... or Utah.

Just so I am clear on what your question is… You are currently residing in Ohio, and you are asking what is a selling point for Boise Idaho?
Number one would obviously be that it is not Ohio.

The winters in Boise aren't that bad. Probably gets less snow than Ohio. And life doesn't come to a screeching halt everytime there's a heavy frost in the West.

Oregon Beaches are cold, but not that far. I bet (haven't checked) allegianct or frontier or some airline
Like that has cheap direct flights to warm places.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back