painful range day

MThuntr

The day started out very well. A rifle that I've converted to be my range rifle and plan to use in a local competition. 7mmRemMag Starting load was 67.0 grain of MagPro behing 168grain Nosler Custom Competition. After a few shots I got this group. Just over 0.3 MOA center to center

20160926_204730.jpg

Then a handful of guys showed up (you know the kind...big diesel with oversized mud tires) and a 338 Lapua. One guy touched off a round in that 338 and my groups fell apart. My ears are still ringing even with ear plugs and muffs. I couldn't get better than MOA and will need to hit the range again to start over as I know this rifle will do what I need it to.

20160926_202436.jpg

On the upside I was very delighted to know I could get 0.3 MOA out a mid 70s Savage and a $300 Vortex scope.

Great shootin ! That is a great group. I do not have a rifle that will group like that.

Everyone has bad days. I love shooting my 338 terminator. But yeah, its loud with the break on it.

I only shoot on my own private range though. Last week at 1000 I had 2 back to back 3 shot groups right at 1.5" give or take, didn't measure them. The next day I could hardly hold MOA and conditions had improved if anything.

No diesel truck or mud tires here though;)

Then a handful of guys showed up (you know the kind...big diesel with oversized mud tires) and a 338 Lapua. One guy touched off a round in that 338 and my groups fell apart.

There is no shortage of those kind of guys. Most likely overcompensating for something.

Everyone has bad days. I love shooting my 338 terminator. But yeah, its loud with the break on it.

I only shoot on my own private range though. Last week at 1000 I had 2 back to back 3 shot groups right at 1.5" give or take, didn't measure them. The next day I could hardly hold MOA and conditions had improved if anything.

No diesel truck or mud tires here though;)

Wow that's approaching world record groups. Nice.

I will refrain from comment on your "type of guys that showed up" but your shooting looks pretty good although I'm not sure what is need for competitions

If you are affected that badly by the people around you then you won't do well as a competition shooter.

It's the blast of a braked 338 literally 4 feet from me that affected my groups not the presence of people. I'd get my concentration back just about to squeeze the trigger and then get smacked in the face with a blast from the rifle. The groups never recovered and some were approaching 1.5" which is good enough for hunting but at 800 yards that would have been the size of the target.

The shoot actually went well as they put shooters on alternate benches and my inability to chase the wind was the problem it went from a slight breeze from behind to a stiff wind 25-30 mph gusts from left to right sending bullets all over the place. I wasn't the only one that struggled that day because of the wind. In the end the guys who shot competitively for many years came out ahead over the guys like me who have little invested so far.

I know the lifted diesel truck & mud tires comment is unfounded and a major stereotype but in this case is was an accurate depiction.

Last edited:
If you are affected that badly by the people around you then you won't do well as a competition shooter.

I'm assuming by your comment that you are a competitive shooter? How were your nerves when you started out? I started my competitive shooting with archery and did not like walking the 3d course with other shooters, especially good ones, because I knew I was going to miss targets and embarrass myself. Within 2 years I was shooting right with those same shooters that I was nervous to walk the course with. I have since moved on to rifle matches. The goal of my first match was to not take last. Luckily I exceeded that goal by a large margin and after a few more matches I now feel comfortable walking up to the line against most shooters.

The point that I'm trying to make is that everyone has got to start somewhere. Mthuntr don't let comments like that get in your head. Those were some damn fine groups and nobody likes shooting next to a brake. Keep at it, have fun, and realize that most of the guys winning these competitions have been in the game way longer than you have. Learn to read the wind and you'll be right there with them

It was just a statement of fact, if that offended everyone then so-be-it. Snowflakes are everywhere nowadays.

Even if the problem was the blast from the muzzle break it shouldn't have continued to cause you to loose your concentration after the fact, recovering your concentration is a key element, you have to just ignore anything that isn't part of your shooting process. Make a mental checklist for a shot and repeat it every time you squeeze the trigger. That checklist will help tune out what's going on around you. The only thing that comes from outside your shooting bubble should be comments from a spotter, a coach or a safety official.

It was just a statement of fact, if that offended everyone then so-be-it. Snowflakes are everywhere nowadays.

Even if the problem was the blast from the muzzle break it shouldn't have continued to cause you to loose your concentration after the fact, recovering your concentration is a key element, you have to just ignore anything that isn't part of your shooting process. Make a mental checklist for a shot and repeat it every time you squeeze the trigger. That checklist will help tune out what's going on around you. The only thing that comes from outside your shooting bubble should be comments from a spotter, a coach or a safety official.

Haha I like the snowflake comment. You're spot on with your post though. That all comes with practice and time on the firing line. Getting out of your comfort zone can be some of the best practice you can get.

Most spotters, coaches and safety officials are never around where I'm elk hunting. Hell, I never see them at the range either. Weird. mtmuley

It's obvious that some of you guys have poor reading comprehension, the OP mentioned competition shooting. I suspect that most of us would be smart enough to not stand within a few feet of a .338 with a brake if we were out hunting.

I shoot a Browning A bolt in .338 with a brake. Shoot in the country. Range here in my town, not used a lot. Another hunter came in, I would stop. The cannon noise is upsetting to me. I do not like it and would not abuse another shooter with the noise.

338 with a brake is loud.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back