MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

For those who horseback in or hike to camp

ElkHunter11

Do you use a waterproof bag to transport your gear/clothing or something else?

Sea-to-Summit dry bag, and if it rains I put a pack cover over my pack.
Dry bag is always a good idea, even if you're not expecting rain.
If you use a bladder with hose to drink from, its just a matter of time before you end up with a wet pack.

Yeah thinking I'm going to go with some form of dry bag to pack in all my clothing, etc. on the horses until I get to camp and can get day gear into my backpack. Reason being, the last hunt I was on, we were coming out of the mountains on the horses and it started pouring on us. Good thing it was at the end of the trip and not the beginning, because all of my clothes, extra pair of boots, sleeping bag and everything else that was in my big pack was completely soaked. Don't want that to happen again, so will likely go with a dry bag. Only downside I can foresee is having something that I need to use and it be at the bottom of the dry bag and having to get everything out in order to get to it.

I use the sea to summit bags as well, they work great at keeping your gear dry. If you want to go a cheaper route, just put a big trash bag inside of your pack like a liner.

I horse/mule pack & camp all the time. I don't do anything fancy, but then I usually don't even go if I know the weather is going to get bad. What I do though, is just take cheap garbage bags and wrap my gear in them. Works for me.

If you're going in on horses I wouldn't hesitate to use a roll top dry bag. Shouldn't be taking a ton of extra clothes so you don't need a big giant one, but if you get a decent sized one they work really good for putting boned out meat in to keep your pack clean, but again you have the horses so you probably don't need to worry about that either.

I use a roll top dry bag when I'm going in on horses. I honestly can't remember the manufacturer because they are so old. I bought them in 2008 when I made my first trip in the Boundary Waters in MN and have used them several times since on hunts and fishing trips. They are really durable. I think they are worth their weight in gold. Nothing worse than having wet clothes and gear.

I used seas to summit this year, glad I did. Everything stayed dry. I also have a large dry duffle bag made by cabelas. Everything stayed dry---two days of steady rain.

Kuiu roll tops are awesome for clothes and fit in the panniers perfectly! Other then that, nothing fancy. Tarp or bags over the panniers

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gcporteous
Back