Help Understanding Tags

LandDiver

I keep seeing, "drew a tag..." for a certain spot. Or some guys and gals I know get upset because they didn't get an elk tag. I am guessing these are not OTC tags for public land? Sorry I am new to this sport and just trying to understand it all.

Thank you.

Depending on the state, you may be able to buy some tags for some areas over the counter. But typically species or areas where harvest is restricted will have drawings to determine who gets the limited numbers of tags available. Species like moose, mountain goat and sheep, or areas that are being managed for trophy-sized animals are typically administered through draws. You have to apply, then wait to see if your name gets pulled to receive a tag.

That's a very basic explanation. Others on here can provide all kinds of details on the ins and outs.

Hunting Wife's explanation is essentially correct. However, controlled hunts as they're commonly referred to in Idaho are not necessarily hunts which are restricted for the management of trophy sized animals. It's more than likely their purpose is to reduce harvests in areas where population densities of big game animals cannot support greater harvests.

Ahhhhh, I was wondering what "controlled hunts" were all about. Thank you Hunting Wife for taking the time to explain things to me, I truly appreciate it.

Hannibal appreciate your time as well. I have been reading the 2015-2016 big game season and rules book the past week just trying to pick up on things, and make sure I do everything by the book. I hope to learn as much as possible, and gain experience with every step on the hillside. I'm still super excited about this general archery hunt coming up for deer.

Good luck on your hunt. I don't know the unit or units where you'll be hunting but you're right on target with Idaho. You won't be disappointed.

Yes, full disclosure....I know nothing about how Idaho does it. The types of drawings, point systems, permits vs tags, pretty much everything is done differently depending on the state. There are threads and threads of that kind of information on here when you are ready to learn more.

The only thing that is the same no matter what is that you have to do your homework and make certain you understand what exactly you are applying for - the unit, species, sex, weapon, season etc. Lots of details that can trip you up when you are starting out. The good thing is, you've got plenty of time if you decide to put in for next season.

Good luck out there!

Back